Kitchen gadget measures liquids, weighs solids in same container
By Ben Coxworth
July 8, 2011
If you like to cook, and are just beginning the process of acquiring basic kitchen supplies, you're probably planning on getting a measuring cup and a kitchen scale. Should you need to maximize space, however, you can now get both devices in one unit. It's the Maxim 2 in 1 Jug and Scales, and it lets you measure both volume and weight.
To measure volume, you just pour the liquid into the cup, and take note of where the surface is on the side markings - just like with a regular clear measuring cup. It can hold up to one liter, or four cups.
To measure weight, you once again empty your ingredients into the cup, only this time in the form of solids. The built-in scale will display their weight on an LCD screen on the handle. It can handle up to 3 kilograms (6.6 lbs), and as with the volume markings on the cup, displays both metric and imperial measurements. It can also convert five commonly-used substances from weight to volume, should you need to know how many milliliters 500 grams of flour is.
Unfortunately the Maxim isn't entirely waterproof, so it can't be fully immersed or placed in a dishwasher for cleaning. Because the cup is plastic, it also can't withstand liquids hotter than 70C (158F).
The 2 in 1 Jug and Scales is available from Firebox for GBP 21.49 (about US$34), which includes the one CR2032 battery it requires.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide