Match vented candle-holders prevent burnt fingers
By Brian Dodson
February 12, 2012
Most of us have faced the problem of trying to light a candle that sits right at the bottom of a glass beaker or vase. I invariably burn my fingers, fumble the match, or just drop the whole works on the floor. Fortunately, a design studio in Sweden has come up with a clever candleholder design that could save lots of fingertips from being singed.
In 2005, a trio of Swedish design artists combined their talents and resources by forming a new design house called Form Us With Love. Their award-winning designs represent a broad spectrum of projects whose focus encompasses lighting design, furniture and interior design.
One of their recent design efforts is the Match candleholder, currently available from Design Within Reach. This elegant glassware includes a vent or slit down the side of the candleholder, thereby allowing a horizontally oriented match safe and simple access to the candle wick. The vent also emphasizes the flickering motion of the candle flame.
The design is fully carried out within the postmodern tradition of simplicity. What makes the Match so brilliant is that it's an incredibly simple solution for a problem which has been with us for centuries. This elegant simplicity doesn't come cheap however - a set of four Match candleholders will set you back US$75.
Source: Form Us With LoveShare
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide