Introducing the Gizmag Store

Lumus glasses let you watch video, and the real world

December 13, 2011

Lumus transparent lenses display a virtual 87-inch screen, while allowing you to see what's going on in front of you

Cinema glasses aren't exactly anything new. You typically wear the glasses like you would your favorite pair of shades, and then see what appears to be a private giant screen in front of you. The downside of these cinema-shades? You can't see what's actually going on in the world around you. Lumus is attempting to fix that issue with a new line of video glasses that you can see through. The transparent lenses display what appears to your eyes as an 87-inch screen, while allowing you to see what's going on in front of you at the same time.

The video is currently 720p (a 1080p version is in the works) and can display content from devices like an iPhone through the use of a special adapter. Besides watching movies, the idea is that the glasses could be used for things like presentations, where you want to read a speech while focusing on your audience, or for directions to a location while you're walking around.

Lumus' transparent lenses could be used to display directions

Lumus isn't trying to sell the glasses on their own, and is instead currently showing the technology off to media companies that might potentially integrate it into their products in the future.

Should you be heading for Japan sometime soon, you can pick up an almost identical product, in the form of Epson's Moverio system.

Source: TechCrunch

The first thing I always think about when I see any type of video glasses is: "Hey! Any of you bums heard of Navin R. Johnson? (I've heard of him) Born in Mississippi? Inventor of the Opti-grab?"

Gene Jordan
14th December, 2011 @ 07:34 am PST

it's getting to the point where the virtual world and the real world are merging or maybe the real world was already virtual and we are putting a virtual world over an existing virtual world. oh boy, i'm counfused

tampa florida
14th December, 2011 @ 08:12 am PST

Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I can't imagine wearing these glasses in the two instances cited. I think it would be extremely distracting to an audience in the first and, unless I'm really off in my fashion sense, these don't appear to be the latest thing in eyewear.

rsheng
14th December, 2011 @ 08:25 am PST

Now full voice control, HUD to control all house and use in car on smart roads which can advise/rate or drive! :-)

factura
14th December, 2011 @ 08:29 am PST

Nice! Thanks. Come on, future!

Zachary M. Cochran
14th December, 2011 @ 09:00 am PST

Videographers will love them!!!

Carl Tanner
14th December, 2011 @ 09:23 am PST

Great for long drives.

Mark in SB
14th December, 2011 @ 11:40 am PST

Excellent yes, hopefully full android functionality. Phone calls, browsing, movies and all that android has to offer. But it shouldn't be used for navigation as full attention must be on the road. The guidance image can block some vision, anyone anytime can suddenly come in front.

Dawar Saify
14th December, 2011 @ 11:56 pm PST

I think the idea was to make walking navigation available - I agree on driving navigation, though this has got to be better than looking down at a map.

I would wear these, for sure: there are lots of times an HUD could be useful (from parts or artistic layout to having a person's name and credentials pop up when you talk with them). The glasses should include a small camera (or have an attachable one) though, to provide a secondary input for whatever device is attached.

Charles Bosse
15th December, 2011 @ 09:12 am PST

I'd rather see this technology placed in the dash of a windshield than in some glasses to wear walking around.

GvillaThrilla
15th December, 2011 @ 01:24 pm PST

I would like to recommend Gizmag to my facebook friends in Brazil.

Joao Viegas da Silva
15th December, 2011 @ 06:28 pm PST

Go ahead Joao Viegas, nobody's stopping you friend.

Dawar Saify