LaCie's Little Big Disk gets SATA III SSD support
By Darren Quick
October 9, 2012
LaCie was quick to embrace the Thunderbolt interface and the high data transfer speeds it provides with its Little Big Disk released last year boasting read speeds of 480 MB/s. The company has now improved on that with a new Little Big Disk featuring a SATA III SSD 6 Gb/s interface that provides read speeds of up to 635 MB/s.
The new LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series SSD packs a pair of 2.5-inch SATA III SSDs and weighs in at 1.4 pounds (635 g), making it what LaCie claims is the “fastest portable Thunderbolt solution on the market.” Aimed at professional content creators, LaCie says the drive can transfer 50 GB worth of files in less than two minutes or enable the editing of six uncompressed 422 video streams simultaneously.
The drive can be configured as a striped RAID set (RAID O) for improved performance or a mirrored RAID set (RAID 1) for data protection. It also comes with dual Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining of up to six compatible devices and a Thunderbolt cable is included with purchase.
The LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt Series SSD measures 1.6 x 5.5 x 3.3 inches (40 x 140 x 85 mm) and comes in 512 GB and 1 TB flavors with prices starting at US$699.
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide