iQi Mobile offers stealthy wireless charging for iPhone
By Gizmag Team
December 12, 2013
While wireless charging capability is built into the latest Nexus handsets, iPhone users looking to unplug are faced with the prospect of shelling out for a wireless-ready (and often bulky) case like the Powermat series. The iQi Mobile looks to slim down the equation with a wireless power solution that works with most iPhone soft cases.
As the name suggests, the iQi Mobile uses the Qi (pronounced “i-chee”) standard and is compatible with iPhone 5, 5C, 5S & iPod Touch (5G). It consists of a 0.5 mm thick, credit-card like receiver unit and a flexible plug for the phone's Lightning connector that allows it to be squeezed behind a standard soft case. From there it enables charging at a rate faster than USB 2.0 with any Qi compatible charging pad, including the Koolpuck charger which is being bundled with the iQi Mobile offering.
Funds are being raised to bring the iQi Mobile to market via Indiegogo where the campaign has almost quadrupled its US$30,000 goal with 18 days still left to run.
The company says early backers of the campaign will receive their iQi Mobile perks before Christmas. A full retail launch is slated for 2014 with the iQi Mobile receiver to be priced at $35 and the receiver/Koolpuck charger bundle to cost $85.
The video pitch for the iQi Mobile is below.
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide