Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

September 20, 2012

Who's the grand poo-bah of the smartphone market?

Who's the grand poo-bah of the smartphone market?

There's nothing like a good rivalry. Whether it's Ali vs. Frazier, FC Barcelona vs. Real Madrid, or Magic vs. Bird, gritty duels have a way of getting people pumped. In this Digital Age, consumer tech has its own sets of sworn opponents: in the 80s it was Apple vs. IBM, later we saw Windows vs. OS X, and gamers even have Playstation vs. Xbox.

In 2012, however, the biggest tech rivalry is the match between the two biggest players in mobile: Apple and Samsung. This one has gotten nasty, extending into international courts. Things only get more interesting with the release of Apple's iPhone 5 this week.

A great product is much more than the sum of its parts, but – even in this post-PC era – specs can matter. If one phone has a quad-core chip with 2GB of RAM, and another a single-core CPU with 128MB of RAM, the first one will be much faster. Likewise, a display with 320 pixels per inch (ppi) will look much sharper than one with 163ppi. You'd be foolish to worship at the altar of specs, but technical details can still shed some light on the subject.

So, with many grains of salt in hand, let's see how Apple's newest iPhone stacks up against the current cream of Android's crop, the Samsung Galaxy S III:

Dimensions

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

Say what you will about Samsung's originality, but its devices are beloved by millions. The Galaxy S III has an expansive surface, but measures thinner than the previous two iPhones.

The iPhone 5, meanwhile, is Apple's first redesigned handset in over two years. It's longer than the iPhone 4/4S (by 8.6mm), but maintains the same width. At 7.6mm thick, the iPhone 5 is also one of the thinnest smartphones around (the Droid Razr measures at 7.1mm, but it has a protruding hump).

Weight

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

The iPhone 5 is light. Though the iPhone 4/4S was far from a hulking monstrosity, the new model is 28 grams lighter. Part of this is due to its thinner design (and internal components), but its aluminum backing is the biggest reason. The past two iPhones had glass backs, which naturally added some heft.

Though it may feel heavy next to the iPhone 5, you can do much worse than the Galaxy S III. Despite sporting a monstrous display and a wider build than Apple's latest, it's still a relatively light smartphone.

Display

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

The iPhone 5 offers the first change in screen size since Apple entered the industry in 2007, boosting the iPhone display from 3.5 to 4 inches. Rather than adding a huge screen with the same 3:2 aspect ratio, though, Tim Cook & company lengthened it. It shifts to a narrower 16:9 aspect ratio: larger, but you can still reach your thumb across the screen.

The Galaxy S III, meanwhile, has a display that is both longer and wider than the iPhone's. If you aren't concerned with thumb reach, the S3 offers significantly more screen real estate.

Size isn't everything though. Apple is promising 44 percent greater color saturation over the iPhone 4/4S. The touch-sensing electrodes are also nearer to the display's surface, moving one step closer to the illusion of ink on paper.

CPU

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

Remember when I said specs weren't everything? These chips are great examples. On paper, the processors in both versions (North America and international) of the Galaxy S III are superior - faster clock speed and an equal or greater number of cores. But early tests reveal that Apple's custom A6 SoC is a beast, breaking records in Geekbench and Sunspider benchmarks.

Unsurprisingly, the A6's closest rival in those tests has been the Galaxy S III. Both editions of the handset deliver some of the best smartphone performance you'll see in 2012 ... but they may not match the wicked speed of the iPhone 5.

RAM

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

Another big factor in performance, RAM is evenly matched at 1GB in the iPhone 5 and the global Galaxy S III. The US/Canada S3, meanwhile, doubles the memory with a whopping 2GB.

Storage

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

Here's another closely-matched category. The 64GB version of Samsung's flagship launches soon, and the only other difference is the microSD card slot that it (and most Android phones) offer.

As always, more flash memory means you're spending more money.

Wireless Connectivity

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

After over 18 months worth of LTE-equipped Android phones, Apple has now given us an iPhone with "true 4G." Those who live in an area with available coverage will see cellular data speeds that are faster than many home broadband connections.

The Galaxy S III also supports LTE, like most high-end Android phones from the last year or so.

Battery

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

The biggest reason for Apple taking its sweet time delivering LTE? It took a while to get battery life up to snuff. Early LTE phones like the HTC Thunderbolt and Motorola Droid Bionic sometimes struggled to last a few hours. We finally saw an LTE phone with great battery life in the Droid Razr Maxx, and the Galaxy S III is no slouch either. It should last a full day for most users.

We've yet to put an iPhone 5 through the paces, but Apple promises better battery life than the iPhone 4S, even while on LTE. Early reviews suggest that it lives up to this promise, but we'll update after getting our hands on one.

Camera

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

You can't go wrong with either camera. At least before the iPhone 5, many valued the S3's shooter as the best on the market. Despite many similarities to the 4S' camera, Apple is promising key improvements over its predecessor - including better low-light shooting.

Apple is highlighting a new panorama shooting feature in iOS 6 (exclusive to the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5). Though it offers Apple's customary polish and attention to detail, there are already several quality third-party panorama apps on both iOS and Android, and a similar stock panorama feature on the S3.

Intangibles

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S III

Though Apple design guru Jony Ive isn't part of the iPhone 5, he does represent those elements of Apple's appeal that can't be drawn from tech specs alone. While rival manufacturers focus more on specs, marketable features, and pricing, Apple's main focus is on the customer's experience. That includes the feeling one gets from holding, viewing, and using the product. With its combination of lightness, unprecedented thinness, and beautiful design, the iPhone 5 may epitomize this philosophy more than any prior Apple product.

The Galaxy S III, on the other hand, is today's Android flagship. In a crowded field of high-end smartphones, that's no small feat. In other words, if a friend asked for advice on the one Android phone to buy, you'd be wise to recommend the Galaxy S III.

The Galaxy S III isn't quite on the software cutting edge, sporting the nearly year-old Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (skinned with Samsung's Touchwiz UI). Samsung did, however, cook up several unique features: S Beam (which utilizes its Near Field Communication chip to enable peer-to-peer sharing), a variety of social sharing features, and its (less intelligent) Siri rival, S Voice.

The iPhone 5 ships with iOS 6, which heralds the arrival of a new Apple Maps app - including Siri-powered turn-by-turn navigation - and system-wide Facebook sharing. It also brings incremental improvements to Safari, Mail, iCloud, and Siri.

Long-term Apple customers will notice another big difference this year: Apple has redesigned its bundled earbuds. Now known as Earpods, the tiny headphones promise a more secure and comfortable fit, as well as improved acoustics. As a standalone $30 product, these aren't high-end models for audiophiles, but they do look to drastically improve on the old earbuds.

One last iPhone update to keep in mind: Apple added a new connector to the iPhone 5. Dubbed Lightning, it's smaller, promises faster speeds, and is reversible. Unfortunately, it also requires you to buy a $30 adapter to keep using all of your old docks, speakers, and other accessories. It was time for the old 30-pin connector to go, but it would have been nice to see a cheaper (or bundled) adapter for those old accessories.

Summing Up

So which phone is better? Who's the grand poo-bah of the smartphone market? Much of that will come down to your preferences. If you've already dug your heels into either the Android or iOS camp, then your mind was likely made up long ago. But if you haven't yet chosen a side, we recommend you head to a retail store to get some hands-on time with both phones. It's hard to go wrong with either one.

As the iPhone 5 begins to arrive on people's doorsteps (and in the hands of weary Apple Store campers), we'd love to hear your thoughts about it. Does it live up to expectations, or feel like another incremental update? Feel free to let us know in the comments.

Will Shanklin Will Shanklin covers consumer technology for Gizmag. He's previously written for Android Central, Geek, GottaBeMobile, Android Police, and The Huffington Post.
He lives in New Mexico, U.S., with his lovely wife, Jessica.
  All articles by Will Shanklin

Well honestly speaking it would be very tough for the Iphone 5 to match up to the galaxy in most aspects. For chances are that the Galaxy s3 with its new Exynos processor would trump it as it is currently the best processor on a mobile device (including tablets). Also the iphone 5 may have a good camera but the question is will apple throw in the features like panorama, zero shutter lag, burst shot...etc.

Even if we compare screen with screen the resolution on the S3 still looks better and your comparison between the superLCD displays and the AMOLED display is also not fair. Fistly you forgot to mention that amo"LED" uses LED technology which is far superior in terms of contrast to LCD technology. It also is significantly healthier to read off an LED display than an LCD display and after hours of reading LED does not cause eye irritations like LCD displays. Sure there might be slightly "less natural colours" but the beauty of android is that it allows you to change the contrast on your S3.

The last thing i would like to talk about is the design. Now i highly doubt that the Iphone will be slimmer than the S3 and if it is slimmer than that would be a disadvantage to apple as the phone already feels like a brick in my hand (ergonomic design is good on the iphone but ergonomic feel is terrible) and if a brick was thin it would be easy to drop. The S3 feels natural in the hand and seamless in the pocket (maybe too seamless). The cheap and materials used to make the S3 honestly is a letdown and in terms of build quality samsung has a lot to learn from HTC but the design on the other hand is simple and like i mentioned, feels seemless and natural in the hand( perfect for videos)

John Shackleford
20th September, 2012 @ 02:13 pm PDT

This article came at a good time, I'm about to swap my Galaxy S3 for an Iphone 5. I have to say that over all I was dissatisfied with the S3 in comparison to the Iphone 4. My main issue with the S3 is it's size.

Ross Jenkins
20th September, 2012 @ 04:23 pm PDT

New Samsung S IV is due out in September 2012, so why are all the peoples in my local area rushing to the phone stores to get a new iPhone5? I have no IDEA!

Their bad luck as they will be locked into a 24 month contract, I bet!

Scott Bailey
20th September, 2012 @ 07:15 pm PDT

Vou esperar pelo IPhone 6 ou o 7 ou o 8 ou o 9 ou o 10, e porque não o 11, vou pensar, começei hoje a minha reflexão, disse.

Paulo Guerreiro
21st September, 2012 @ 03:36 am PDT

I've had my iPhone 5 for a few hours now and the best way to judge both of them, as the author mentioned, is to get both of them in your hands and see them in person. I did this and the iPhone was waay better in my opinion. The S3 is a truly fantastic device but just felt too cheap in the hand.

The thing that really did it for me though was the screen, I just thought the S3 was a little too big for my liking. The only downside for me for the iPhone was the loss of Google street view but I'm banking on Google bringing out an app to compensate for that.

Tommo
21st September, 2012 @ 04:33 am PDT

The Galaxy S3 is a super phone and will not change it unless for Galaxy S4.

Ziad N. Dibsi
21st September, 2012 @ 04:37 am PDT

Review is biased towards Apple ...

Stefan Padureanu
21st September, 2012 @ 05:23 am PDT

Strange that NFC, which isn't available on the iPhone, was only mentioned as an aside at the end of the article and the micro-sd slot on the S3 was mentioned but not really identified as an advantage for the S3.

Frank Pinkney
21st September, 2012 @ 05:36 am PDT

I dunno, my mom got the s3 through t mobile, and so far she is dissappointed. the battery got hot in less than 10 minutes of it running, and i already heard of a report that one persons phone caught on fire! and this came from the guy working at the tmobile store! at the store, 3 other people came in with battery related issues. if they dont fix the battery problem, were gonna get rid of this phone (thank god

we actually own the damn thing, and are not on a contract)

Anthony Ballmann
21st September, 2012 @ 07:55 am PDT

Interestingly, the most important element is utterly missing in terms of what makes the phone a better buy.

The issue is, how much of the phone's ability has been crippled deliberately by the maker or the carrier to make its functionality limited.

If one of the phones was equal to a supercomputer with AI but Apple (for example) had crippled it to the point where it couldn't work as a calculator even, then any other phone is the better buy unless you 'jailbreak' it and then you have to treat it as any other computer.

When the iphone 3 came out, it was capable of shooting video as hardware but Apple made sure that it would not have software that allowed that function. So a $50.00 flip phone was better for that purpose.

Both Apple and Samsung have continued to do that. So its a matter of researching what functions have been disabled to know which phone will work for you.

Also, the camera specs on the Galaxy III are the same as on the Galaxy II but the video and stills on the III are much better. In fact, the video is nearly as good as on my $1200.00 Panasonic prosumer video camera.

I was shocked.

Lens quality and other variables count as well as MPs etc.

The Galaxy phones often have to be 'rooted' in order to get the actual performance of the hardware you buy and own when you get one of these things. I find that dishonest in terms of having to disable dishonest functions to limit the functionality of something you bought. But what can you do. These are big companies.

Tacky-on
21st September, 2012 @ 09:32 am PDT

I cannot believe how biased this article is toward Apple! It's insulting to people actually hoping for real comparisons here. Everything Apple had added to the iPhone was touted as being new and inventive when almost every Android system already has the feature. Furthermore, the fact that EVERY Android handset has an expandable SD card slot was passed over as a downside because memory costs money! WHAT??? The cost of any Android device WITH the maximum size SD card is still pennies to dollars when compared with anything Apple. Gizmag should have picked a Windows phone user to write this article.

DB
21st September, 2012 @ 09:40 am PDT

Personally, I'm about to ditch the iphone and AT&T and get a Samsung, I don't recognize the authority of these companies to dictate whether I should be allowed to tether on a jailbroken iphone, nor attempt to use 'patent infringement' to decide which phone can or cannot be offered to the consumer. The Galaxy has better functionality and is offered by networks with unlimited 4G dataplans, so screw Apple and screw AT&T, you just lost a customer.

PeetEngineer
21st September, 2012 @ 09:49 am PDT

For me having Samsung's version of Swype or having the capability of downloading the Beta version of Swype (much better that the Samsung version) makes the difference in the decision making. I tried texting the other day the old fashion way (one word at a time) and it felt like going back in time. I am surprised that Apple has not come up with an equivalent version of Swype on the lastest model.

Also, for us Android users you have to love the ability to costumise your phone to your liking to improve in efficiency. The way I see it Apple is for old folks (easier to use and very basic) and Android is for smart and younger people.

Juan Fernando Juliao
21st September, 2012 @ 09:49 am PDT

No mention of the Ascent Solar made solar chargers available for both units? Since I am still using a rotary telephone it's hard for me too judge which is the best unit..... it appears that using the telephone component of these devices is no longer a priority.

cquirolo
21st September, 2012 @ 10:13 am PDT

I too think that it's all about preference but why does this article sound like it was written by an iPhone fanboy? "as always, more flash memory means spending more money." You really don't see that as an advantage for the SIII? It's a great way to carry your shows and movies on-the-go. And I'm pretty sure SD cards are cheap these days. Also, I would list NFC as an advantage, it's just so convenient if you know how to use it. Just my opinion.

I'm kinda disappointed to read a little biased article from a well known source :/... I'll still keep reading stuff here though :-)

Mercium
21st September, 2012 @ 10:42 am PDT

The person writing this article is clearly biased towards the new iPhone 4S2 or 5(whatever you want to call it). Listen to how he makes the bigger screen size on the Samsung seem like almost a flaw. He points out how the iPhone's new true 4G is faster than most home networks, but that the Samsung has been having that along with other high-end android phones for a good while, ahhh, booooooring. Let's get back to what's NEW on the iPhone :D. I know ICS is only close to HALF a year old but who cares? iOS6 is brand new, oh my gosh! This writer is clearly an Apple fanatic and while Apple does make a good product, it's far from groundbreaking or NEW. Yes, I'm an android guy, and being one, I can think for myself instead of waiting for my phone company to tell me AND lie and lie to me.(I'm looking at you Apple, the iPhone 5 is NOT the thinnest smartphone out there) Lastly, to prove my accusations of this biased writer; Look how he mentioned the lightning connector LAST in the article, like wasting thirty dollars on an adapter was cheap and convenient; although every other review I've read addresses that as one of Apple's biggest fails.(also he tried to make it seem like the expandable memory on the s3 was JUST another expense towards the phone lmao) seriously, if you want an honest(forgive the pun) apple's to Apple's comparison of these two phones? Have a Windows phone guy write that review.

iLetAppleThinkForMe
21st September, 2012 @ 10:55 am PDT

Lumia 920, better hardware, better design, better software.

Dave Scanlon
21st September, 2012 @ 11:39 am PDT

I am disappointed in Gizmag. When Gizmag does a comparison, then please hire people who are not biased.

yaj
21st September, 2012 @ 12:51 pm PDT

I agree, Swype is a big consideration! The Samsung phones mostly have it, the iPhone doesn't. Talking into my old Samsung yields surprisingly accurate results (both English and Spanish, which I can toggle back and forth between with an easy click).

On another note, I would have been interested in hearing about each phone's sound quality. I used to travel with cell phone, MP3 player, camera, and Flip Video...now I have all these functions on my Samsung and I love traveling lighter!

Finally, the new Samsung may be starting out with a battery life that, as you sauy above, should last a full day. But how long before the battery starts deteriorating and you're stuck charging 2x or more a day? My old Samsung started out ok (I could charge it at night and use it from morning to evening, though late night it would die without a recharge). Now, it barely lasta a few hours. Wonder how the new Samsung's battery measures up, long-term?

Thanks, very interesting article!

Jessica Ramesch
21st September, 2012 @ 01:08 pm PDT

talk about a biased article. according to the author nfc and expandable memory are bad things. using apple maps instead of google maps a service with virtually every inch of america, and europe, covered seems to me a bad thing. and yes technically the a6 is a speed demon but just like every dual-core cpu it gets bogged down with multiple apps running. i like how a brand new ip5 is comparable to a phone that is 6 months old. when the s4 comes out the iphone will again be left behind, only to be bought by the tech ignorant and people who only care about being seen since you know apple = cool. i dont buy phones to be cool, i buy them for what they can do for me.

Erlord Ofthe Afterscape
21st September, 2012 @ 02:04 pm PDT

Kinda funny these so called articles written by people that already have in their head what they like and are going to push. I rely on consumer reports to get honest unbiased comparisons. They hook em up and really get down and dirty. Gives you all the info you need.

Facebook User
21st September, 2012 @ 05:28 pm PDT

Okay Gizmag... your comparisons are usually pretty good, but I think this one was below par overall.

Specifically; what kind of comparison is that for battery life? You give talk-time, etc. hour values for the iPhone, then mAh for the Samsung. That's like comparing two cars by saying one car has leather seats, power windows, and a sunroof, and the other car is blue.

Give us equal comparisons!

Marlon Meiklejohn
21st September, 2012 @ 05:40 pm PDT

I also dont buy phones because they look cool i buy phones for

function.

in regards to usage they are both powerful devices but there are so many hates for me it has to be a S3.

1. the first iphone had a glass front so people smashed it so the next one had a glass front and back instead?

2. why is there no memory slot and why cant you take the battery out if it dies, as anything (i) had major battery issues before?

3. android phones allow you to drag and drop films of any type so you can load 2gb avi movies straight onto it and go no conversion just drag drop play any file. this is awesome i work in security and having movies to hand really passes time without having to spend hours converting it to the correct format to play.

4. no restrictions on android phones download mp3 tracks or plug into any pc and move anything to and from as you please. I hate being told what i can and cannot have on my device.

5. the fact iphone came out without bluetooth file transfer and mms which you could get from a basic phone costing £15 was insulting only beaten by the fact people rushed out and brought it.

So yes a iphone is a powerful device but way too many restrictions

for my liking

Jason Leo
22nd September, 2012 @ 01:34 am PDT

Very one sided review....

John Burns
22nd September, 2012 @ 02:14 am PDT

It really shows how the Iphone crowd can be sold anything that has a silly apple logo on it.

Please..........Wake up people of the iphone world!

The Iphone 5 is just not that exciting in comparison to the Android offerings. I have owned both Apple and Android devices in the past, and i am sticking with Android(Currently Samsung Galaxy s3). It just equates to much better value for money!

Yes, i admit. When the Iphone 3 came out it was a exciting product, but now all we are getting with the iphone 5 is a squashed iphone 4s! with a few bits of hardware changes. Woopie!

Bradley Irwin
22nd September, 2012 @ 02:19 am PDT

Let's also add the bias or lack of investigation that the new OS for Android (Jellybean) is also already available. Apple is so far been playing catch-up to Android.

They have a good phone, but the beating of drums to Apple's tune gets old. I'd also prefer a phone I can make backups on WITHOUT connecting to iTunes

The S4 will have a screen a full inch larger than the iPhone 5. Due out soon. The Note 2 is also just out. A size Apple doesn't even offer. How long till Apple catches up?

VoiceofReason
23rd September, 2012 @ 12:40 am PDT

I don't know why everyone thinks the S3 feels cheap. I have one and I love the feel of it. I certainly would not be happy if I thought it "felt" cheap. Previous to this, I owned the iPhone 4s and while it was a solid phone that worked fine, being on AT&T's network, my data speeds slowed to a crawl EVERY afternoon. Doesn't much matter how fast the phone is if the provider drags you down. I switched to a different service AND a different phone. Fact is, I just was to bored by the iPhone. As good as it ran most of the time, it just didn't allow me to do much more than move my icons around. Just as important though, I wasn't overly impressed with Apple's cloud services. Not to say they didn't work, I just didn't like how it was layed out. To simplistic. With Google you get a far more flexible array of apps to work with. Google Voice is amazing and even Google's calendar allows for way more tweaking. Add to that also is Google Drive. Now they've also taken Google Maps off of the iphone in favor of their own. Understandable but still dumb given how good Google maps is. As for the phones themselves, I realize that many people prefer smaller but that was one of the main reasons I chose the S3, because it was FAR bigger which allowed me to see a lot more without having to constantly having to pinch and zoom and whatnot. The ONLY area that I think the iPhone beats the S3 is in the shear number of accessories and other things out there for them but then, I don't use any so even that doesn't matter. I will give Apple credit for one thing though. I was glad to see them get rid of the glass back. Just a disaster waiting to happen and which usually did (I witnessed many) and the new design does look nice. Never the less, I'm sticking by my S3.

ConnieL429
24th September, 2012 @ 06:05 am PDT

Funny, Stefan Padureanu- I though the author was trying hard to make the Galaxy compare well to the iPhone. In the end the article seems fairly even-handed, though.

Allison Proctor
24th September, 2012 @ 06:14 am PDT

Having a big high resolution screen, fast processor and decent memory are give-ins. I wish battery's were better though...

The best thing about the s2/s3, IMO, is its connectivity.

Flag blue tooth and try "wi-fi direct". This is awesome for sharing stuff with your friends and is very fast.

I like how you can use the s2/s3 as a wifi hot spot. This is awesome if your traveling as you dont have to pay for exorbitant wifi charges at hotels or parks etc.

Im looking forward to the impact NFC will have in the future. Imagine not having to carry keys, or wallets. I hope they implement it properly, ie keep it secured so we dont miss out because of a few scandals. I live in NZ, we are nearly a cashless society here so the transition to NFC payments will be smooth once available IMO.

cm
24th September, 2012 @ 05:12 pm PDT

@Ross Jenkins - if you didn't want a big phone, why did you buy the S3?

@Anthony Ballmann - if there really was a S3 battery that caught on fire, it's nowhere to be found in news reports. Also, the same TYPE of battery found in the S3 is found in the iPhone 5 (and most other cell phones) - Lithium Ion - and it's that TYPE of battery that has risks of fire or exploding. It really has little to do with the phone it's found in.

Since the battery comparison isn't fair by any standard, here's the details from Samsung's website for the S3 vs. the details for the iPhone5 from above:

iPhone 5

Talk Time: 8 hrs (3G)

Internet: 8 hrs (3G/LTE)

Standby: 225 hrs

Galaxy S III

Talk Time: 11 hrs (3G)

Internet: not listed

Standby: 790 hrs (3G)

One more reason why the S3 is my choice.

uSheep
25th September, 2012 @ 01:50 pm PDT

Neither the comments nor the article answered the one question I have not been able to find: How is the Galaxy (and by extension, all other Android phones) at syncing with Macs? I don't expect the same tight integration the iOS phones have, but I still want my contacts, pictures and notes to match up with a minimum of pain.

I have not yet been able to find ONE Mac user with an Android who can answer my questions.

Michael Pearce
29th September, 2012 @ 03:09 am PDT

@Michael Pearce

I have owned a Mac for 5 years and have had the Galaxy S3 for 3 months now. Amazing phone BTW. The galaxy S3 comes with an app called Kies Wireless where you are able to view and transfer information from your Mac to your phone through wifi. It works like a charm. I am not sure how you would get your contacts from your itunes backup, but if you own an android before the S3, Google will have them backed up through your gmail account. Otherwise the sure thing to do would involve going to your phone provider and having them do a transfer. If you connect the phone through a USB as well, all of your folders in the phone will show up like a regular flash drive. Here you can drag and drop music, pictures, etc.

So to answer your question they sync up very easily in more than one way, but I am unsure about your contacts. Thats the problem with the IPhone is that its a pain in the a** if you want to simply drag and drop your information from one system to another

Mike Chiovatero
2nd October, 2012 @ 10:55 am PDT

I have both SGS3 and iphone4 to test them out and compare them, and I must say Samsung is better for its larger screen and its quad core.

Anjaleena Robert
4th October, 2012 @ 08:42 pm PDT

I've been a Mac user since the late 80's. I've had iPods since 2001. I had wanted to get an iPhone 2 years ago when it finally came to Verizon, but I lost my Palm Centro and ended up replacing it with a Droid 2. I waited until after the iPhone 5 announcement to replace it, but I went with the Galaxy S3. The iPhone doesn't have Flash, has a special proprietary cable that no one else uses (and requires a $30 adapter to hook up to the iPhone jack in my car), no micro SD slot, and a sub-par map app. My Galaxy uses the same micro USB plug/chargers that the Droid 2 used. I took the 32 gb micro SD card from the Droid 2 and popped it in the Galaxy (this card only cost about $25 from Radio Shack; if I had ordered it online, I would have paid even less). I'm the first person to tell you that no one does integration like Apple. Typically you plug it in, and it just works, but I think Apple has really dropped the ball with the iPhone 5. Using Backup Assistant and Google Sync made the switch to the Galaxy pretty painless, and with Google Music, and even better, Amazon Cloud, I can access my entire music library anywhere I can connect to the internet. Apple, wake up! Don't go down the path of RIM and the Blackberry.

rudedog4
15th October, 2012 @ 09:45 am PDT

iPhone5 India user review:

Its light, slim and handy. If you have iPhone4s you may not need iPhone5. But if you have earliers models then definitely a reason to buy.Even dealers are offering EMIS.

Maps: Apple is improving maps as per TUAW. Also for India MapMyIndia in tie up with sygic offers best map experience with door2door navigation, real time traffic updates. Google Reportedly Readies Maps App For iOS.

Don't worry about software glitches. They will be fixed any time through upgrades. Still its more better quality than Android.

Additional features: iMessage, Camera Panorama view, Face-Time....

IPhone5 is bit high priced but not too high if you consider the quality and services like iCloud. iCloud will give better experience than free drop box.

Galaxy S3 is available cheaper than iPhone but with bulky size, heavy weight and a cheap plastic back cover. Sorry to say but this reminds my school days geometric box.Quad core processor? You need or your OS need? Optimizing OS is more important than increasing processor.

From my view iOS gives better usabilty experience than Android. To use Android fully, One either need to be a techie or need to have prior android experience. iOS is still the easiest OS then comes Windows and finally Android the toughest.

Bibekananda Dash
19th November, 2012 @ 07:28 pm PST

Also only supports moving files from MAC or PC - using proprietary software. Cannot use the device as a remote drive (goes for BOTH samsung AND IPHONE) Ryan Bidan screws up a perfect OS to make Itunes clone garbage!

UNIX-user