iPad 5 reportedly on track for September
July 8, 2013
Common sense tells us that a new iPad isn't far away. With last November's 4th-generation model being little more than a minor spec-bump, we're going on 16 months since the last significant update to the 9.7-inch iPad. Previous rumors have given us a pretty clear idea of what the next model will look like, and now we may also have a clearer idea of when Apple will announce it.
According to a report from DigiTimes, Apple is expected to announce the 5th-gen iPad this September. Apple has still only placed pilot production orders, but it looks like everything is running smoothly so far:
- Although suppliers have not yet received a firm mass production schedule from Apple and are mainly shipping products for pilot production, the sources pointed out that pilot production is already able to satisfy demand for the initial launch. Therefore, the sources expect Apple to give its shipment estimates at the end of July or early August.
The DigiTimes report also echoes previous leaks, saying the iPad 5 will look like a larger version of the iPad mini, with narrower bezels. It also adds that the new tablet will only use one LED light bar, down from the two found in the iPad 3/4, and that battery life will also get a nice boost.
Though it wasn't specifically mentioned here, reports from earlier this year also suggested that the new iPad will also sport a lighter and thinner build.
iPad mini later?
Speaking of the iPad mini, DigiTimes is also saying that the next iPad mini might not be on track for a simultaneous release with its big brother. This isn't the first we've heard on that front, but this report adds that Apple isn't yet sure whether this year's version of the mini will have a Retina Display. If so, then the 7.9-inch tablet could potentially be delayed until Q4.
As always, you'll want to take these supposed leaks with many grains of salt. Most of Apple's recent products have leaked in great detail ahead of their release dates, but none of this is anything close to confirmed until we hear it straight from the horse's (or Tim Cook's) mouth.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide