Infinite USB proposes an elegant alternative to hubs
By Rick Martin
March 22, 2010
For anyone who has ever lamented those clunky USB hubs, there might be a far more elegant solution around the corner. Thanks to clever design student Jiang Gonglue, we might not be too far off from seeing something like this 'Infinite USB' connector, which allows an unlimited* number of devices to plug into one USB port.
The connectors would wisely be color-coded, allowing you to distinguish between your devices. In addition, to combat the inevitable power issues that come with attaching multiple devices to a computer Jiang has also theorized an external power adaptor that would also feature the unique 'infinite USB' head.
Of course this is just a concept for now, but I look forward to the day when I don't have to unplug one device to make room for another.
The designer says that his idea comes from always having his mouse plugged into the same USB port all the time. He thought that it would be convenient if his mouse could provide a port while at the same time occupying one. And if a mouse could do this, why not any USB device?
*Geeky disclaimer in my best nerd voice: Technically, daisy chaining only allows 127 devices to be connected to one USB port. So Mr. Jiang might reconsider renaming it, because 'infinite' is not really accurate. But thoroughly impressive nonetheless!Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide