Tablets have become one of the hot topics of the 2010 on the back of Apple's all conquering iPad, but HP's new entry into the space has come about with next to zero fanfare. The new Windows-based HP Slate 500 isn't positioned as a rival to the iPad (in contrast to Samsung's Android-driven Galaxy Tab), instead it's aimed at "professionals who don’t usually work at a traditional desk, yet need to stay productive in a secure, familiar Windows environment."
The HP Slate 500 sports an 8.9-inch multi-touch display, integrated 802.11b/g/n WiFi (but not 3G) and Bluetooth 3.0 for connecting keyboards and other peripherals. The processor is an Atom Z540 and there's 64 GB of solid state storage on board.
The Slate 500 also has two cameras – a 3MP camera for stills and a VGA webcam for video conferencing.
The unit measures 9.21 x 0.58 x 5.91 in (23.40 x 1.47 x 15.00 cm) and weighs 1.5 lb (0.68 kg), so it's slightly smaller than the iPad but weighs about the same ... regardless of the not to be underestimated target market of corporate Windows users, these comparisons are inevitable, especially given that the Slate 500's US$799 price tag is close to that of the top spec iPad.
The Slate 500 can be ordered at the HP site and shipping is expected next month. There's also word of a more consumer-orientated HP Tablet running on WebOS mobile software to be released next year.
HP Slate 500 specification:
- OS: Windows® 7 Professional 32 OS
- Processor: Intel® Atom™ Processor Z540 (1.86 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
- Memory: 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
- Storage: Solid State Flash Module up to 64 GB (there's also an external USB 2.0 CD/DVD R/RW optical drive on offer)
- Display: 8.9" diagonal WSVGA wide-viewing angle touchscreen
- Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500, Broadcom Crystal HD Enhanced Video Accelerator
- Connectivity: 1 x USB 2.0, combo stereo headphone/mic jack, integrated 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.0
- Integrated microphone and stereo speakers
- Integrated 3 MP camera; Integrated VGA webcam
- Battery type: 2-cell (30 WHr) polymer
- Battery life: up to 5+ hours
- Software installed: HP Slate Camera, EVERNOTE, HP Support Assistant, Adobe Reader, Adobe PDF
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics