GoPro releases Dive Housing for HERO actioncams
By Ben Coxworth
May 14, 2012
Although you may have seen plenty of underwater videos shot using the GoPro HERO actioncam, its lens was never really designed for underwater videography – as we previously illustrated in a video report, the footage sometimes looks a little fuzzy. As of today, however, would-be Jaques Cousteaus can now purchase a dive-specific GoPro housing that promises sharp images.
The Dive Housing features a large flat lens, unlike the usual GoPro domed lens. This apparently solves the fuzzy-underwater-pictures problem, and in fact the approach has already been implemented in several third-party HERO-compatible products.
It fits all models of the HERO, and is watertight to a depth of 197 feet (60 meters) – just like the regular housing. Included are a variety of mounting gizmos, a lens cap, and a tether string.
The housing is available at various retailers and via the GoPro website, for US$49.99.
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide