Gizmo launches Australian comprehensive in-home and phone support technology support taskforce
By Mike Hanlon
August 8, 2006
August 9, 2006 There’s a fundamental shift in consumer digital technology currently underway as the world embraces the digital lifestyle. Led by the growth of broadband, home networking, digital devices and digital media services, the uptake of new technologies has been extraordinary despite complexity, integration and interoperability issues. A recent GfK Group study showed that 77 percent of Australians now have more than eight digital devices in their homes so it’s timely that Australia is about to get its equivalent of America’s GeekSquad – a reliable, comprehensive in-home and phone support technology support taskforce. To be known as Gizmo, the comprehensive support service is designed to help Australians get the most out of their computer and related gadgets, launched today by announcing the opening of its Sydney operation. The Gizmo service provides home support with customising, setting up and maintaining computer systems, home networking, peripherals and media/entertainment centres.
Gizmo is initially providing in-home service in the Sydney metropolitan area, with telephone assistance available nationwide. The in-home service is set to expand across the country, allowing all Australians to get peak performance out of their home technology purchases.
Gizmo boasts a team of qualified, customer friendly technicians with a passion for digital technology. Trained Gizmotechs visit your home at a specific appointment time including weekdays, evenings and weekends to set-up and trouble-shoot, while showing you how to make the most of the technology in your home.
“The growth of broadband and multiple devices in the home is resulting in increasingly sophisticated home technology, such as wireless networking,” said Brett Chenoweth, Gizmo’s CEO. “Gizmo can help people deal with these issues so that they can enjoy more of their personal time while getting the most out of their digital devices.”
“The Gizmo vision is to remove the frustrations and complexity of technology and open our customers up to a world of new ideas, experiences and opportunities. We love technology, we’ve read the manuals and we’re serious about making technology fun and simple,” Brett added.
Recent GfK Group research shows that 77 percent of Australians now have more than eight digital devices in their homes. "Many people are linking these devices together via broadband and networking, creating a new and growing level of complexity in household technology,” said Angus Macaskill, an analyst at GfK Group, highlighting that nearly 50 percent of people have installation issues with technology such as wireless routers. “A service such as Gizmo, that enables Australians to manage their home technology challenges, is very timely,” he said.
Gizmo allows people to select from a wide list of service packages designed specifically to address the diverse needs of home technology and digital devices. Home service visits are priced at a flat rate and range from AUD$120 to AUD$240 depending on the service required while over the phone service is a flat AUD$60 (support that requires less than ten minutes costs only AUD$20). Additionally, Gizmo offers a ‘no fix, no fee’ guarantee.
* Network Me! – Install the wireless gear you need (like a router and network card) and connect your computer to another computer or other devices, secure your network, and get the most out of your networking * Upgrade Me! – System analysis, new Windows operating system installation, data transfer, folder, files and application set up, tutorial * Protect Me! – Install and check anti-virus/ anti-spyware software; firewall configuration; install security updates * Tune Me Up! – System diagnosis and troubleshooting; hard drive installation; memory upgrade; software and driver update; inspect and update anti-virus/ anti-spyware software; hard drive defrag; clean up files * Back Me Up! – Data transfer between computers; data transfer to external device * Show Me! – Tell us something you’d love to be able to do, and we’ll come to your place and show you how. * Set Me Up! – System customisation; software installation; one peripheral installation; anti-virus/ anti-spyware and system training * You Tell Me! – Full review of your technology and recommendation for service
Gizmo service is available from 8am to 10pm weekdays and 9am to 6pm on weekends. For more information or for Gizmo service, please visit www.gizmag.com or call 1300 275 449.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide