Friday September 12, 2003 Gizmo Magazine was named one of the four winners of the inaugural B2Bcafe Black Box Innovation Awards at Federation Square in Melbourne last night.
Dr David Warren, the Australian inventor behind the Black Box Flight Recorder presented the four awards open to innovators across all industry sectors.
"The Black Box is an Australian innovation icon and serves as a metaphor for would-be inventors," explained B2Bcafe founder Warren Lester. "Dr David Warren developed the original Black Box prototype but couldn't convince others that there was a market for it. Both Dr Warren and Australia lost out when more opportunistic parties successfully commercialized the product offshore.
"The Black Box also highlights the extent of Australia's unrealized opportunities and that's the reason for the awards to publicly recognize true Australia innovation and avoid losing future commercial openings."
The four Black Box Awards were presented to companies in four different award categories; Small (less than 5 staff); Medium (6-100 staff); Large (more than 101 staff) and Not-for-profit organizations.
Award criteria stipulates that the innovation must be a tangible working product or service operating in the marketplace, Australian, and provide a meaningful contribution to society. Commercial success or maturity of the venture does not determine the awards.
- Micro (less than 5 staff): Gizmo Magazine. Gizmo is a multiple-medium magazine which has a bi-monthly A6 print issue, a weekly email newsletter, PDF downloadable back issues and a website covering invention, innovation and emerging technologies.
- Medium (6-100 staff): Victorian Institute of SportInnovation. SportInnovation received it's gong for the development of highly realistic virtual reality game environments created by specific software that can be manipulated by the coach to give his/her athletes added perceptive skills training.
- Large (more 101 staff): Schiavello (Commercial Office Furniture). Schiavello's specifically designed desk enables and enhances "hot-desking" environments with all required features for comfort, lighting, cabling and multiple uses.
- Not for Profit: ISX (Indigenous Stock Exchange). The ISX provides a trading floor for small business in a joint venture with the Brotherhood of St Lawrence. Its forum has been created to promote and facilitate businesses within the community supported by the community.
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide