Decision time? Check out our latest product comparisons

Luxury muscle: The Equus Bass 770

September 26, 2013

A mix of 70’s Chrysler, current day Camaro and 60s Shelby Mustang

A mix of 70’s Chrysler, current day Camaro and 60s Shelby Mustang

While the big American automakers continue to battle for market share in the muscle car segment, one boutique manufacturer in Michigan has developed its own interpretation of the genre. The Equus Bass 770 is an unashamed impersonator that mixes the old world and the new ... a muscle car with a taste for life's little luxuries.

With a name that sounds more like a horse trailer with a thumpin' stereo system than a muscle car, Equus’ Bass 770 is all about the modern day realization of a “what if” scenario. What if you took DNA from a 1967 Mustang Fastback, a 1968 and a 2013 Camaro, plus a ’71 Plymouth Satellite, and stirred it all up in a big aluminum pot?

The answer just might be the Equus Bass 770. More Mustang than anything else, the car communicates old world design in a variety of ways. The fastback, roofline and overall profile speak of mid-60’s Mustangs. The front end is a mish-mash of 70’s Chrysler and new-age Camaro headlight treatments, the taillights recall late 60s Chrysler products and ... we could go on, but you get the picture. This is a mixed bag.

The Bass 770 can reportedly hit 60 mph (96 km/h) in only 3.4 seconds while capable of a to...

The Bass 770's muscle is provided by a 640 hp supercharged aluminum V8. These power figures, in partnership with 605 lb.ft of torque and a 6-speed manual gearbox, translate into a reported 0- 60 mph (0-96 km/h) acceleration time of only 3.4 seconds and a top speed of 200 mph (321 km/h).

Unlike the inspirational cars that the Bass 770 plays homage to, the handcrafted interior of this car isn't what you'd call bare-bones. It's saturated in black leather with more that a hint of chrome and the retro steering wheel sits proudly next to the console mounted touch screen.

The Bass 770 interior is populated with leathers, aluminum and shiny metal gauges similar ...

Equus has used an aluminum chassis to keep weight down and performance figures up. The Bass 770 tips the scales at a hefty 3640 lb. (1650 kg). A “superformed aluminum body” with carbon fiber inners is in place to enhance structural rigidity and strength.

The muscle car rolls on big 255/40 ZR19 tires up front and 285/40 ZR19’s on the back and decaleration comes via Brembo brake calipers and carbon ceramic discs.

And, unlike a 1965 Mustang, Equus has seen to incorporating key driving technology into the car. Items like Magnetic Selective Ride Control, Performance Traction Management, an Active Handling System with traction control and variable-ratio power steering are noted as standard on the Bass 770.

Although Equus’ Bass 770 is retro-pretty, it’s not cheap. Orders vary from US$250,000 for a fully equipped model to $290,000.

Source: Equus

Angus MacKenzie Born on the cold, barren Canadian plains of Calgary, Alberta, Angus MacKenzie couldn’t decide between marketing, automotives or an entrepreneurial path - so he chose all three. When not writing, Angus has for the past six years been Editor-in-Chief for elemente, an internationally recognized architecture/design magazine.   All articles by Angus MacKenzie

While I think this is really nice, I also think it is really expensive. I think retro is cool but not at that price. For that price, one would expect something more exotic.

BigGoofyGuy
26th September, 2013 @ 06:51 am PDT

Too bad, they priced themselves out of the market(as most private makers do). Can tie or beat it by 150K to 190K. Too Bad

Jimbo Cash Jones
26th September, 2013 @ 09:14 am PDT

Too bad it's that costly to own. I've never been a classic muscle car guy, but I love everything about this car. Well, except that I'll never own even a well used one!

Vince Pack
26th September, 2013 @ 09:17 am PDT

I see it still has that legendary huge blind spot.

Jay Finke
26th September, 2013 @ 09:18 am PDT

Cuda front end with lights stolen from the E-39.

Someone with talent could have a one-off for a lot less money. Yet another vehicle for guys with more money than intelligence of imagination.

steveraxx
26th September, 2013 @ 01:15 pm PDT

The car looks good but with the Shelby scoops instead of a outline would make this car a real stopper.

Chuck S

Chucks
26th September, 2013 @ 01:37 pm PDT

First, that is shaped like a '67/'68 Mustang fastback, not a '65. And what is a Dodge Satellite? Plymouth!?

PeteN95
26th September, 2013 @ 01:55 pm PDT

Man what a car but they missed the opportunity to throw in the muscley AMX Javelin fender flares that would have rounded out the package nicely.

Pin
26th September, 2013 @ 03:42 pm PDT

If they're true to the genre they'll also make it so it can't stop or go around corners and has a 60-40 front to back weight ratio (as the old Mustangs did). Old Mustangs were great as crowd pleasers because with so little weight on the back wheels they would provide big clouds of blue smoke when you "punched" them. But in a drag they couldn't pull a sailor off your sister!

I know, I was there. I watched a 270 Barracuda put about 10 car lengths between him and a 390 Mustang at the lights. Lots of blue smoke but no go.

warren52nz
26th September, 2013 @ 06:00 pm PDT

Nice looking car! Would definately like to own one... was looking it over and thinking to myself, man i wouldnt mind owning one of these... i was already picturing myself driving down the road with all the girls looking at me when i seen the price- HOLY SMOKES!!

Are you kidding? a quarter million dollars? Its basically just a mustang with some custom parts on it, i know when your not mass producing things costs go up, but most of the car pieces are from cars that ARE mass produced.

I could buy a brand new ferrari for that much, a Lamborghini. You really saying its in the same league as those? The Ego!

I mean a stang is how expensive brand new these days? 23,000$? a GT is 30,000$.... a shelby gt500 is 55,000$! and it has 662 horespower, thats more then this car!

Where does the other 200,000$ go? Right in their pocket.

Nathaneal Blemings
26th September, 2013 @ 10:42 pm PDT

321km/hr,... with that shape??

1. You will need ear plugs

2. that windscreen better be Quarter inch thick.

But I love the shape and the specs. Inside its actually very functional, and because its not closed in on the driver like in some sporty things, it feels more like a car you could drive to the shops.

Agree with other people's comments in that they could and should have lowered the price. I'd be flippant enough to say $100k flat, because the engine would be 20-30k, and the rest is more or less standard 50k muscle car, and throw in 20k for the 'luxuries'.

Nairda
26th September, 2013 @ 11:57 pm PDT

Too bad it's a fastback. Would look much better as a coupe.

Gregg Eshelman
27th September, 2013 @ 01:06 am PDT

I looks so much like a Ford Mustang to my eyes I fancy if you drove one everybody you met would drive you nuts thinking your $300,000 dream ride was the horrendous old bus the modern Mustangs actually are (I know I owned a 2003 from new V8 Auto - cool modern classic but such dated technology - gearbox a joke - and everything so badly thought-out).

For this money give me a Ferrari any day. But if I had all the cash and more still and fell in love who knows how a rich fellow's mind works.

EUbrainwashing
27th September, 2013 @ 09:04 am PDT

Here is their starting shell: http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models2.html

For $250K+ I could make a few of my own!

Luddite