Introducing the Gizmag Store

Emperor 1510 - the workstation on steroids

February 14, 2012

Emperor 1510 workstation

Emperor 1510 workstation

We were blown way by the outrageous design and outrageous price of Modern Work Environment Lab's Emperor 200 Workstation when it first surfaced back in 2009. Since then a model that incorporates many of the same features while being somewhat closer to the means of mere mortals has come on the market - the Emperor 1510.

The Emperor 1510 has the same tilting, scorpion-like layout as its custom-built cousin, catering for up to three screens from 19-inch to 27-inch in various configurations (3 x 24-inch with a 16:9 ratio is the option on our wishlist, but note that the screens themselves, along with the computer, aren't included in the price of the 1510).

The curved tubular frame is made up of Canadian steel with integrated LED lighting and an adjustable keyboard tray and leg rest.

The Emperor will tilt backwards up to 15 degrees and independent seat adjustment ups this to a total of 25 degrees. All the cabling runs inside the frame to the computer housed beneath the seat, which helps to give this mega-workstation a clean finish.

Audio controls at your fingertips

Connectivity includes 3 x HDMI ports and 4 x USB ports beneath the armrest and an integrated Bose 2.1 sound system sees the bass speaker positioned underneath the seat with in-built controls, which include single-touch mute and a connection for a second audio source, positioned at the user's fingertips.

The Emperor 1510 comes pre-assembled at a cost of CAD6,400 (US$6,200) to Canadian residents, excluding shipping costs ... and chances are that the postman will struggle to slip this 325 lbs (147 kg) monster through your mail-slot.

The original, custom-built Emperor 200 model costs CAD46,150 (US$44,750).

Source: MWE Lab

Nice...

Nantha
14th February, 2012 @ 10:34 pm PST

The only way that chair would be cooler is if it rotated on its axis like Alex had in 'The Last Starfighter'. Can YOU say Death Blossom?

Mexoplex 5 Million
15th February, 2012 @ 08:37 am PST

For that kind of money, it had damn well have a Toob dome built in.

Also, since numerous studies show sitting still is terrible for your health, I want something built in to allow for exercise, like the Elliptical Machine Office Desk has.

For $6200, I don't think I'm asking too much.

Gadgeteer
15th February, 2012 @ 03:14 pm PST

Nice, but still too pricey unless it's a flashier stainless steel, etc. I might be induced to consider it if it was $2000-3000 range. Even at that price lots of options should be available. Maybe after I win the the lottery...(sigh)

dwainez
15th February, 2012 @ 03:42 pm PST

A whole new meaning to sitting in the "hot seat" :-)

Pity they didn't start with a massage chair instead of that car one.

Ah - and mind your head :-)

christopher
15th February, 2012 @ 05:57 pm PST

Nice chair, but it's way to expensive a static. If you want something really mindblowing incorporate this into it:

It would truely rock then :)

Terry Penrose
15th February, 2012 @ 06:44 pm PST

It's cool if you don't need paper for whatever you're doing. Even when I program, I always have to have my programming book out, flowcharts printed on large 11x17" paper, and a notebook for taking notes. From the pictures, I don't see any desk space for said materials so this expensive "gadget" would actually decrease my productivity. But everyone works differently. If I had that kind of money, I probably would consider it though - if you have people over, think of all the conversations you could have because of it.

Sambath Pech
15th February, 2012 @ 07:06 pm PST

I would love to see it at the mall besides the little guys. Classically the early models of a recumbent design lacked sorta a reason. Have you ever used a design table while laying back with a dual core laptop and mouse. Yet... it is what it is.

Shawn Powell
16th February, 2012 @ 12:55 am PST

didn't that game programer guy that thought he was a robot on "Grandma's Boy" have one of these?

Shawn Jones
16th February, 2012 @ 08:45 am PST

1. I cannot afford it.

2. I agree it should have like a massage chair.

3. I the Toob would be a nice option but this is a chair for a home computer geek not an entertainment system for home IMAX experience. I am not a television/movie geek so that does not really appeal to me but I can see it appealing to others.

4. If I had the money and it had some form of massage chair even if a separate option, I would definitely buy it. I am a computer geek.

NatalieEGH
16th February, 2012 @ 07:56 pm PST

Having used something similar to Emperor (Nethrone), this setup is what I will be purchasing in a couple weeks. I am a webmaster/intranet admin and sitting all day at a regular office desk just didn't cut it.

The Emperor was only $4500 a few years ago but at the time more than I wanted to pay. I'm paying for that decision now.

Talking with the owner of the company who makes the Emperor, adding a Ricaro bucket seat is San awesome upgrade. A typical office task chair might as well be a milk crate. I use a documentSW holder attached to one of my monitors which works out fine. I also use an end table for books/manuals. These are things that I can do with the Emperor so its all good. I will let you know how it works out in six weeks when it shows up. I do have to thank the American taxpayers for footing the bill. It will be money well spent.

By the way, the maker does sell refurbished (prior demos/rentals) chairs at a decent price.

Kelly Graham
26th July, 2012 @ 08:36 am PDT

Need a steering wheel, paddle shifts and gas/brake module, then were talking. Flight control system with HUD and custom helmet stickers or the Maverick/Goose option. By the time you are done having pizza, on fave screen, auto order, you will never get out of it, with out Crisco.

Justin Schetrompf