Forget the ice cream truck, this one makes wood fired pizzas!
July 5, 2012
Del Popolo’s is a traveling pizza truck located in San Francisco, that features an impressive wood-fired pizza oven. The mobile restaurant has been constructed from a recycled shipping container which has been completely remodeled to include a modern kitchen workspace and two large glass doors that open out to the public.
The mobile pizzeria serves rustic Neapolitan style pizzas, topped with ingredients sourced from local and independent producers. The 20-foot (6.1-meter) transatlantic shipping container cost the owner, Jon Darsky, close to US$180,000 to refit, with the wood-fired oven being the main attraction. Any food-loving Italian knows that the smoldering temperatures (over 900ºF/485ºC) reached inside a traditional wood fired oven cooks the perfect pizza base in a matter of minutes.
There is no doubt that the Margherita is one of the most popular versions of a Neapolitan style pizza, so it is not surprising to see it at the top of Del Popolo’s menu. It's topped with tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil, extra virgin olive oil and sea salt, and Del Popolo diners can get their hands on one for US$10.
The Del Popolo’s truck doesn’t have a fixed site and its lunchtime or dinner locations are broadcasted via twitter.Share
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide