Life-sized Hotwheels Darth Vader car hits Comic Con
July 23, 2014
Darth Vader might traverse distant galaxies in a Tie Fighter, but what about when he’s in California? Mattel’s answer: a Corvette-based car Darth Vader car. Appearing at Comic Con this week, the one-off is part of a release event for a new line of Star Wars-inspired Hot Wheels cars.
The full-scale Vader mobile was painstakingly designed to imitate the 1:64 scale HotWheels version in every way ... and like the Death Star, Mattel says it will be fully-operational.
Using a C5 Corvette chassis as the working platform, the car is reportedly capable of doing 80 mph (129 km/h). The one-off also features Lightsaber side pipes to go with the cockpit and grill designed to resemble Vader’s mask. To complete the car’s transition to the dark side, the creators incorporated Lord Vader’s signature breathing into the car.
The full-sized Vader-mobile will be on display at Comic Con in San Diego this week while the diminutive HotWheels versions will be on sale at the Mattel booth for US$40.
New video showing Lord Vader's car in action is now available for viewingShare
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide