Introducing the Gizmag Store

Chevrolet announces 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel

February 11, 2013

Chevrolet's new 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel (Photo: © General Motors)

Chevrolet's new 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel (Photo: © General Motors)

Chevrolet will be rolling out a new diesel variant of its Chevrolet Cruze for the 2014 model year. The Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel will come with a 2.0l turbocharged engine, which delivers 148 hp (110.36 kW) and 258 lb-ft (347 Nm) of torque.

Despite having some decent power on tap, the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel still delivers 42 mpg (17.85 km/l) on the highway. The Cruze's new engine is also billed as the cleanest diesel engine ever produced by General Motors, with 90 percent less Nitrogen Oxide and particulate emissions than previous generation diesel engines.

By way of comparison, Volkswagen (a company known for its diesel engines) estimates that its TDI engines can achieve about 43 mpg (18.28 km/l) highway, pipping the new Chevy Cruze by only one mile per gallon. Mercedes' diesel E350 BlueTEC sedan, which has a substantially larger and more powerful 3.0l engine, achieves an estimated 32 mpg (13.6 km/l) on the highway.

Rear view of the 2014 Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel (Photo: © General Motors)

One key piece of information Chevrolet has yet to mention is the distance per tank. The BMW 335d, which comes with a much larger 265 hp (197.6 kW) engine, is advertised at 580 miles (933.42 kilometers) per tank. While Chevrolet says that the Cruze offers a "best in class range," we'll have to wait and see how this translates in terms of actual numbers.

The new Cruze will also include the MyLink infotainment system, which is based on GM's IntelLink system. Other notable features include a six-speed automatic, 17-inch alloy wheels and all-season tires.

Performance-wise, the new Chevy Cruze's 2.0l turbo-diesel engine is able to hit 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds, which edges out the Volkswagen Jetta's TDI diesel.

The Chevy Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel will launch with an MSRP of US$25,695, but the company has yet to announce a release date in the United States.

Source: GM

Dave LeClair Dave is an avid follower of all things mobile, gaming, and any kind of new technology he can get his hands on. Ever since he first played an NES as a child, he's been an absolute tech and gaming junkie.   All articles by Dave LeClair

Why the fascination with range for a gasoline or diesel auto? Surely, there are myriad refueling options available within their range and the number is as much a function of their tank size as fuel efficiency.....which is FAR more important.

Also, for the 80+% of people for whom URBAN driving is more the norm, what about those fuel efficiency (mileage) figures? I love the IDEA of a diesel, but the new generation of hybrids get far greater mileage both urban and highway, so it MUST be long past due to have a greater number of diesel-electric hybrids.....or do we have to wait for the $6/gal gasoline crisis to occur?!

Want a diesel? The VW Passat TDI appears to be the current low price/big size/long range/high mileage leader!!

ChicagoBlue
11th February, 2013 @ 07:18 pm PST

That was about time (for the last 10 years...). Now keep moving Chevy, give us a station wagon, then an all-wheel, then a station wagon all-wheel, and I'll get the check book ready.

Nice work!

BeWalt
11th February, 2013 @ 08:25 pm PST

the Cruze is sold in Australia; there is a sedan, hatch and sports-wagon comes in 1.4L petrol turbo, 1.8L petrol and 2.0L Diesel

Graham Winks HomeMaint
11th February, 2013 @ 09:46 pm PST

I am surprised that chevy is only now releasing this. I have the Australian version, the Holden Cruze diesel. It is 2L, manual, and averages 6.9L per hundred Km after more than a years driving. It has never consumed more than 8L/100Km. The Australian Cruze diesel also makes 120Kw and 360 Nm on paper. I can tell you first hand it is not as refined nor as fast as the VW Jetta. But then again, it is substantially cheaper! Anyone that thinks this is fast is bound to be disappointed but it does make for economical motoring that does less damage to the environment.

Australian
12th February, 2013 @ 03:16 am PST

"The Cruze's new engine is also billed as the cleanest diesel engine ever produced by General Motors."

Naughty Naughty! The new engine is produced in Italy by Fiat!

TedF
12th February, 2013 @ 05:56 am PST

Likely the main reason Chevy has released this tech abroad and not at home is the American market's disdain for diesel. Not only is it far more expensive per gallon, diesel (rightly) has a terrible reputation for smoke, smell and clatter. If these have truly been resolved (clearly the price issue has not), expect a very slow move toward diesel here. I like the idea of a diesel hybrid, being one of those poor people stuck in urban logjam every day. Let's do that.

Clay Jones
12th February, 2013 @ 08:25 am PST

It is pity that BMW sells only big motors in US. Hopefully these developments will change it.

For example its 2.0L Turbo Diesel has 135 kW (184 PS), consumes 3.9 l/100 km (that is 25.64 km/l) on highway and goes from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.5 seconds. At least on paper.

Kris Lee
12th February, 2013 @ 08:57 am PST

Why is everyone always concerned as to how fast a car will reach 60 mph-we don't care and only the hot rodders who are minimal do???Come up with better mileage and let them retune their cars to go so fast to 60-we don't care!

Bill Black
12th February, 2013 @ 09:07 am PST

How about a flat (boxer) 4 TDI with a built in motor/generator? I like mid engine also for AWD.

Seilertechco
12th February, 2013 @ 09:20 am PST

@Clay Jones,

Modern car diesels generally only 'clatter' when cold- when up to running temperature you'd be hard pressed to tell a diesel engine from a petrol from within the vehicle.

Modern car diesels don't tend to smoke or smell bad either.

I can't see this car doing all that well in the UK- Chevrolet was introduced here as a brand when Korean car maker Daewoo went belly up- and those Chevrolets were nothing more than rebadged Daewoos. Hence, they've saddled themselves with a 'cheap and nasty' image (perhaps unfairly). It didn't help their cause either when they'd made previous efforts to market the awful Bronco here- like almost all American brands launched here it was laughed right out of the market!

bergamot69
12th February, 2013 @ 09:33 am PST

based on current tank size this will get over 600 miles on a tank.

Bob Rocha
12th February, 2013 @ 10:51 am PST

@bergamot69: I've never heard of a Chevy Bronco. What is /was it?Chevy has made plenty dreadful cars, no doubt. I'm no fan of any of their current inventory. I see pickup trucks with diesel engines all the time and they stink plenty, as do the VWs when throttled heavily. I would put up with it, but many won't.

Don't make me defend Chevy! I don't think they've made a vehicle worth having in many years. But you Brits seem to like Fords OK, as do I. Funny-I don't see many British cars here anymore. What happened? Jag and Mini are about it, and Mini is technically German. Bentleys and RR don't count. Also not British anymore. Sad. Bring back Triumph!

Clay Jones
12th February, 2013 @ 12:55 pm PST

re; BeWalt

The Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards killed the wagon in the USofA and created the minivan and SUV that have worse mileage but didn't fall under the same rules.

re; Bill Black

Aside from being a standard benchmark 0-60 also indicates how easily the car will merge into traffic. Try taking a 10-12 second 0-60 into rush hour traffic.

Slowburn
12th February, 2013 @ 04:41 pm PST

FYI folks....Honda has also announced their 1.6 diesel powerplant also. I don't know what all the fuss is about..gas verses diesel....with new emission laws since the early 90's steadily progressing to the present, car companies have certainly proved their do diligence. NOW it's up to us..the consumer to rally these companies and demand to release them in other markets...( Canadian) please!! while I'm on my soapbox, Toyota..if yer listening...err watching, please please bring the Hilux diesel to Canada. I'd buy another Tacoma (own a '96) but the gas is KILLING me......

Jeckyll
12th February, 2013 @ 05:11 pm PST

The great thing about diesels is their city fuel mileage. My TDI, (2006 Jetta) for example, goes at least 500 miles in stop and go traffic per tank and takes between 12 and 13 gallons. The gasoline cars that get great hiway mileage, like my Hyundai Accent, get, at best, 25 miles per gallon in city driving.

People in Europe know this and there are diesel available in most cars. I lend friends my TDI and they don't even realize it's a diesel. What have Americans got against diesels?

bradleydad
12th February, 2013 @ 06:12 pm PST

Dave, you talk about the BMW 335d getting 933.42 km from a tank, and wonder how much a Cruze would get. Well, if you think of a standard Cruze with a quoted 60L tank, and you say it will get 17.85km/L on highway cycle, so simple math tells us it's going to go 1,071 km on a tank.

I have the Aussie Cruze with the 1.4L turbo petrol engine and on a recent long distance drive I got an average 1,068.7km from a tank of premium fuel. So I'd believe the estimate (although hope for more from a diesel). I also learnt to be careful what brand of premium petrol I buy...they are not all the same!!!

Darth Stig
12th February, 2013 @ 06:28 pm PST

I had a 1984 merk Lynx die, stick shift with air and power stering, 58.hp. that got 64.mpg. top speed was 75 mph. and a safty divice would drop trhe air off. Some that were built with out air cond. & ps. got 72 mpg and over. If it had a newer body like the 2 door escort and a turbo it could have reached up to the 90 s mpg. They can build a better fuel milage car if the oil co. will let them. Oil co. have pations on carb. that ar in a locked room at Cater Cab. and will not let them be made. I have a 2009 vw. Jetti TDI and get up to 53.3 mpg. at 55 mph speed zone. with 2 in it Norm i get 43.mpg it uses more fuel ot long red light'. a three min stop will drop 3/4 a mpg. average.

Randa;ll
13th February, 2013 @ 09:21 am PST

My nieghbor owns this, it's a nice car upclose, nice interior, goes far, I belive it's 40 mpg or alittle more. With gas prices what they are, it's deffinately a car to seriously consider.

For my personal taste, I would love to see Chevrolet build the TRU 140 as a RWD (rear wheel drive) With the engine it's supposed to have it could do the same mileage as the Cruze, but I'd like to see it with more HP (horse power) 250np and be a FRS beater. So Chevy, if you're listening; Build the TRU 140 as a RWD and 200= (250) HP Vehicle. Bring the hieght down so its doesn't resemble an egg.

By all means, lose the 130 Dodge neon looking concept (make me wanna dry heave think about how nostalgicly annouying you guys can be) It's why I buy foreign. Wanna change that, change your style.

Corvette is hot and by no means reflexs any negative comments. I want one.

Gargamoth