Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

Conquest Vehicles' first unarmored SUV still looks pretty armored

August 9, 2012

Conquest Vehicles' first unarmored SUV

Conquest Vehicles' first unarmored SUV

Conquest is a Toronto-based outfit that specializes in armored SUVs and that heritage carries over to its first non-armored model. While the Evade may look to the novice eye like an armored vehicle, the hard-edged, no-nonsense exterior is tempered by an interior that promises an upper-level lesson in luxury.

The Evade borrows influence from Conquest's Knight XV armored utility vehicle but also previews the latest design language that the next Knight XV will inherit. Exterior elements include wrapping headlights and taillights, slimmed down fender flares, a hood scoop, a redesigned grille and a wider backdoor. The hinges, running boards and steering wheel are machined out of stainless steel.

The burly aluminum-mild steel blend body sits atop a Ford F550 Super Duty chassis. Conquest hasn't indicated the specific engine(s) that will power the SUV, but its admission about gas and diesel engines has us wondering if it won't be the same Ford 6.8-liter gas V-10 and Ford 6.7-liter V-8 turbo diesel options as the Knight XV. Whatever the specific engine, it will power all four wheels. Other confirmed equipment includes air ride suspension, front and rear FLIR night vision cameras, and roof-mounted, joystick-controlled searchlights with 360 degrees of motion.

The wide back door and bumper step allow for exit and entry by 'executive security'

The minute you tug the aluminum door handle open, the Evade goes from "bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks" to "doting, romantic high school sweetheart." The spacious interior offering 400 cubic feet (11 cubic meters) of space is laid out in 2 + 2 limousine style and sculpted with fancy materials like leather, composites and Alcantara. Options include executive-style reclining seats, a retractable flat screen TV and a driver partition.

Despite the elegant appointments, Conquest makes an effort to ensure that passengers in the Evade aren't lulled into thinking they're in a Bentley SUV. It incorporates some elements from the military-esque exterior into the interior but promises that those cues blend seamlessly without taking away from the overall luxurious look and feel.

Conquest plans to commence production this fall. The Evade will retail for US$579,000.

Source: Conquest Vehicles

C.C. Weiss Upon graduating college with a poli sci degree, Chris toiled in the political world for several years. Realizing he was better off making cynical comments from afar than actually getting involved in all that mess, he turned away from matters of government and news to cover the things that really matter: outdoor recreation, cool cars, technology, wild gadgets and all forms of other toys. He's happily following the wisdom of his father who told him that if you find something you love to do, it won't really be work.   All articles by C.C. Weiss

Ok it is cool looking but how does the price compare to other luxury SUV?

Slowburn
10th August, 2012 @ 12:28 am PDT

So nice. The styling is so "tough".

Nantha
10th August, 2012 @ 01:12 am PDT

This doesn't scream "steal me" or "run that coin down the side of my un-armoured paint job" at all..

Facebook User
10th August, 2012 @ 04:16 am PDT

Nice, eh? I believe it could and should be a lot more aerodynamic... Fuel consumption is always important, even essential.

If we're not trying to frighten anyone, it could very well be ...white on the outside!

I generally like the (variable?) air/hydraulic suspension very much... provided that both differentials could be lifted together with the chassis... Yes, I believe that the chosen type differentials is the strongest and most durable but the variable suspension makes little sense if the differentials cannot be raised before an off-road obstacle...

Volodya Kotsev
10th August, 2012 @ 06:30 am PDT

re; Volodya Kotsev

Have you ever driven across a log or forded a stream. A high differential is nice but not near as important as a higher frame.

Slowburn
10th August, 2012 @ 08:17 am PDT

For over half a million US dollars, does it come with a instant 911 dial & response as it screams I’m a filthy rich “Novice”………..so shoot me…….AAhhh Damn he shot me!!!

One of those “what was I thinking” moments spend the extra and survive…

Bob Flint
10th August, 2012 @ 09:56 am PDT

If you have a really small penis this is the SUV for you.

Beerberger
10th August, 2012 @ 10:22 am PDT

Sweet! Another great option to burn a lot of gas for ...no good reason at all! Wait, I'm forgetting about someone's sorry ego being uplifted by driving a wannabe war machine looking toy.

BeWalt
10th August, 2012 @ 10:32 am PDT

What a revolting looking vehicle.

It'll look even worse when 'blinged up' with eye-searing chromed wheels, etc, as part of someone's 'gangsta' fantasies.

bergamot69
10th August, 2012 @ 11:38 am PDT

It is hard for someone in my income bracket to imagine having so much money that I would be stupid...sorry, idiotic...sorry, uh silly enough to buy something like this. I suspect that I could commission a car to be built to my exact specifications for less than that. Oh well, I admire their dreaming.

Flint--you are right on the money. I can't help but think of some of those who became targets just because of what they were driving. Bill Cosby's son, Michael Jordan's father come to mind. I believe that is what happened with them both targets of opportunity?

On the other hand, I suppose if you pay that much you probably have a fleet of black GMCs all around you when you drive.

Dr. Veritas
10th August, 2012 @ 11:39 am PDT

I would take the International/Navstar p.u. any day ...and the same diesel that ford puts in their junk?...it is Navstar already...and save some money for real armour.. btw, we dont get any specs on that armour, where it is etcetcetc...probably just a hype up for the run scared yuppies who have to run kids to the charter school...run through all those "little people."

Standard ford gear...and not even an offcenter rear axle (I can see the standard center feed differential) like mercedes went to...and stayed with since...back in/ from WW2. Pathetic choice of 2nd choice for the ultimate mad max Americano! but hey...we b dumb that way.

waltinseattle
10th August, 2012 @ 11:44 am PDT

BeWalt nailed it. This is for Spec-op Wannabe posers. Anyone with real money wants to blend in, if they're smart. This stands out to the point of being stupid. Real "tough guys" don't look tough until they need to be. This screams " I'm a bad ass! challenge me and I'll prove it!" And they will.

Burnerjack
10th August, 2012 @ 01:29 pm PDT

A HALF MILLION DOLLARS! ...and it's NOT Armoured?

Griffin
10th August, 2012 @ 05:21 pm PDT

A vehicle for the apocolypse or WWIII

Gargamoth
10th August, 2012 @ 07:57 pm PDT

Beerberger! Thanks for the laugh, spot on, well gotta clean spit off my monitor, thanks again

Bill Bennett
10th August, 2012 @ 08:24 pm PDT

Instead of "aluminum-mild", shouldn't it be "aluminum-milled"?

(i.e., I think you intend to mean the adjectival form of "milled aluminum".)

PaulW
11th August, 2012 @ 12:40 pm PDT

OK, I get it. I'm one of those guys who like to make a bit of an impression. With a few distinctive cars in our stable, we enjoy some of the best the automotive world has to offer. When looking at this I thought, "I could see myself in one of these" As I scrolled down the page and saw the tiny little back door, my interest faded. Why didn't they put Excursion style double doors on the thing so it could swallow a 4x8 sheet of plywood. The price is ridiculous I figured it would be about 150K at the most. A sense of Deja Vu settled in as I re-lived the Hummer H-1 debacle.

I loved the comment about it being for someone with a small penis. Yep, perfect ride for the Justin Biebers' and Zac Efrons' etc. of the world.

pickypilot
11th August, 2012 @ 03:08 pm PDT

i read an article about if u have a 1000watts or more transmitter drove by any cars u can shut down his engine computer as there is too much wireless transmission wonder if thats true.

that was told by a trucker whose into these CB transmitter.

then u understand an upper power limit.

please enlighten yours truly if u know the answer.

cheers