Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

Chrysler outs in-vehicle wireless charger for mobile devices

April 12, 2012

Chrysler's Mopar Division has revealed an in-vehicle wireless charging system for mobile devices that's set to make its debut in the 2013 Dodge Dart later this year

We've eagerly followed the evolution of the wireless charging technology for mobile devices here at Gizmag, from its very early incarnations right through to the very latest developments. Even though you can't really argue with the potential usefulness of such technology, they've almost universally been restricted to home or office use and not where most of our device batteries actually let us down - out on the road. Chrysler's Mopar Division has developed a wireless charging system that sits in the central console of a car, which juices up the battery of any mobile device placed on the mat. The technology is to make its debut in the forthcoming 2013 Dodge Dart.

The new in-vehicle wireless charging system from Mopar - a simple contraction of the words MOtor and PARts - takes the shape of an 8.27 x 9.5 x 3.25 inch (210 x 241.3 x 82.5 mm) power bin towards the bottom of the vehicle's central console. The built-in charging grid activates when a battery-powered mobile device - such as an iPhone, Blackberry, MP3 player or Droid-based device - that's been wrapped in a specially-designed case is detected. The case comes supplied with the system and is said to be compatible with a variety of devices. Charging begins when the vehicle is started.

Mopar was also the first to make it possible for a driver to create in-vehicle wireless hot spots, and the first to introduce smartphone vehicle information apps.

The Mopar in-vehicle wireless charging technology is being made available for US$199.99 (not including the cost of installation) and will make its debut in the 2013 Dodge Dart that's set to hit dealerships during Q2 2012.

A brief overview of the system is given in the following video from Chrysler's YouTube channel:

Sources: Mopar and Chrysler

Paul Ridden While Paul is loath to reveal his age, he will admit to cutting his IT teeth on a TRS-80 (although he won't say which version). An obsessive fascination with computer technology blossomed from hobby into career before the desire for sunnier climes saw him wave a fond farewell to his native Blighty in favor of Bordeaux, France. He's now a dedicated newshound pursuing the latest bleeding edge tech for Gizmag.   All articles by Paul Ridden

excellent...more radiations

SumoDes
12th April, 2012 @ 04:28 am PDT

Funny that the first car to have this technology is the Dodge Dart.

jubbling
12th April, 2012 @ 09:26 am PDT

Yeah, that's what road safety needs - something that makes using a mobile phone while driving even easier...

Keith Reeder
12th April, 2012 @ 10:31 am PDT

I'm sure Chrysler will spend more time on the Human Factor Design on this! I.E. how people will actually use this rather than just sticking an inductive matt in the only available space in the dash - because in the picture, it looks like one could not really see their phone while it was charging... Forcing you to reach forward and pick it up for many operations.

Aeronick
12th April, 2012 @ 12:25 pm PDT

I think I saw a beta tester girl using this today, she blew through a STOP sign at 40 mph texting, great idea Chrysler! Very happy I yielded, and yes I am very good at judging car speed, the b*#$h was going 40 mph, thank the spirits my GF is not stoopid, she says hang on and stops when we talk when she is driving

Bill Bennett
12th April, 2012 @ 09:46 pm PDT

re; Bill Bennett

While people who text or get involved in the phone conversation to the detriment of their driving are a problem. It is not the phone or the charger that is the problem.

The problem is people who blame inanimate objects for the failings of people.

Slowburn
13th April, 2012 @ 09:49 am PDT

Quite the "innovation"! Putting something that only works moderately well in the home into the car! Brilliant! I'll stick to my in car ipod/iphone dock, thanks.

Get me an inductive charger that doesn't require a case (I use a specialized ruggedized waterproof case due to many of my activities) and we'll talk.

Bryan Paschke
13th April, 2012 @ 10:58 am PDT

What exactly is wrong with my $4 cigarette lighter/accessory jack connectivity that I currently use? Do I really need to pay 50 times the price of what I currently use so that I can utilize an inductive mat that was placed in the catch-all-bin of the car's console?

Hmmm...
13th April, 2012 @ 04:17 pm PDT

re; Hmmm...

If you have the money the convenience of not having to hassle with the wires.. I will have to wait for the price to come down.

Slowburn
14th April, 2012 @ 10:27 am PDT

I agree Slowburn people here are missing the point that as you say its the driver that is the problem not the fact there is a wireless charger. Most modern cars even down to the cheap city ones have bluetooth connectivity thus killing the need text/dial and drive. Its more down to laziness and some people who are easily distracted. These modern systems can even read the text out over your speakers.

Hopefully sooner than later the handsets will start to implement the charging tech into the battery opposed to the case but maybe there its in the best interest for you to need to buy a case rather than have it come with the phone.

Wesley Jordan Anthony Baker
15th April, 2012 @ 12:40 am PDT

It is great to see different styles of inductive charging shape into form. As solar PV becomes more common, all an electric vehicle (car or bike) will need to do is park above the charger. Free charging, from sunshine while you are shopping or at work without worrying about "plugging in" is a nice advantage. No wonder China is pouring billions into the beginnings of a nationwide solar infrastructure.

electric38