A car park with a view (and a house too)
January 8, 2014
Los Angeles-based architecture and design studio Anonymous Architects has completed an unusual property which gives primacy to the occupant's automobile. Like the firm's Big and Small House, Car Park House is again a fine example of using a modest-sized plot to its fullest, but in this case Anonymous Architects took the step of installing a rooftop-based car port.
Measuring 130 sq m (1,405 sq ft) and located in Echo Park, Los Angeles, Car Park House differs from other car-centric properties we've covered, such as the Autofamily House or Porsche Design Tower in that its design derives from practical concerns. The local building code requires that new homes feature at least two vehicle parking spaces, and the site chosen for construction is on a steep hillside.
The single-level dwelling was built atop a concrete pile foundation, and Anonymous Architects reckons these lend the impression that the home is "floating" above the hillside. Access to Car Park House is gained via the bridge, and steps lead from the car port into the home proper. Inside, there's three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and dining area, and a lounge.
The rooftop parking area is also usable as a deck space, and the property boasts views of the nearby San Gabriel Mountains.
Car Park House was completed in August, 2013.
Source: Anonymous ArchitectsShare
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide