Photokina 2014 highlights

Brammo reveals pricing for Empulse electric motorcycles

May 9, 2012

The Brammo Empulse will cost US$16,995 when it hits the road in June

The Brammo Empulse will cost US$16,995 when it hits the road in June

Brammo has revealed pricing and release details for its new Empulse and Empulse R electric motorcycles. Both models are specced at an impressive 100 mph (160 km/h) top speed and 100 mile (160 km) range.

Both Empulse models employ a 10.2 kWh lithium-ion battery, 6-speed gearbox, and a permanent magnet AC motor generating 40 kW (54 hp) @ 8,200 rpm and maximum torque of 63 Nm. This translates to a 100 mph (160 km/h) top speed and 100 mile (160 km) range, or more specifically, an estimated city range of 121 miles (195 km) and an estimated highway range of 56 miles (90 km). Charging time is 8 hours, although a fast charging option will reduce this to 3.5 hours and Brammo estimates that (based on 13 cents / kWh for electricity) the cost of getting around town is just one cent per mile while highway jaunt will cost you two cents per mile.

While the 2012 Zero S matches the Empulse in range terms it maxes out at a top speed of 88 mph (142 km/h), meaning that the combination of range and speed figures quoted by Empulse are, to the best of our knowledge, unprecedented in a production electric motorcycle.

The difference in the two Empulse models is largely in the bodywork. The Empulse has semi adjustable front and rear suspension and its body work is all plastic, while the Empulse R features a carbon fiber headlight shroud, front and rear fenders, top panel and the rear light housing.

Brammo Empulse - cargo capacity is specced at 365 lbs. / 165.6 kg

Pricing for the Empulse has been set at US$16,995 while the Empulse R will cost $18,995. Brammo has stated that production for the Empulse R will take place first with "limited availability in June 2012 and in volume by Q3 2012." The Empulse is expected to arrive in early 2013.

So is this an attractive proposition for those looking to make the switch to zero local emissions two-wheeled transport? We think so, but we'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section.

Source: Brammo

they are getting there but a bike costing this much needs to be faster in my opinion

robinyatesuk2003
9th May, 2012 @ 10:37 pm PDT

It looks great but would only be good around town.

I don't know why they even bother telling you what the highway range is - if I wanted to hit the highway on that, I'd need to travel 30+ km just to get out of the city, so I'd already be getting nervous as to whether I'll make it home again or not!

Range and charge time is very limiting.

But yes - great if you want to zip around town.

Facebook User
9th May, 2012 @ 10:39 pm PDT

I agree a cool city only bike and still to expensive, but it looks good and the speed isn't to bad for the power.

mrhuckfin
10th May, 2012 @ 04:29 am PDT

Style points: they're ever-so-slowly creeping away from the super-moto styling that they (for some inexplicable reason) have latched on to with e-bikes. This one's not bad, with a streetfighter/standard kind of look to it... but what's with the huge gap for rear wheel clearance? Does it really need long-travel suspension back there? Like it's gonna have to land the mega-triple-jump at the local SuperCross stadium, or something?! Time to grow up and move on, Brammo.

MzunguMkubwa
10th May, 2012 @ 04:57 am PDT

Great for the Planet and great for the pocket when the price comes down to something affordable. Except for one thing: DEADLY quiet. Loud pipes save lives even though they are sometimes a bit anti-social. I will stay with Screaming Eagle thanks!

bf_308
10th May, 2012 @ 07:30 am PDT

To MzunguMkubwa point: If your electric bikes are not really meant for speed (like your typical 'bullet bikes') then why don't you make/change your bike style/model to one more like a typical 'Cruiser' model??? (ex. Harley Davidson, Yamaha V-Star, Suzuki Blvd, etc)

Rudy
10th May, 2012 @ 08:47 am PDT

a locally owned company Yes

Victoria Watson
10th May, 2012 @ 09:16 am PDT

To bf_308: Screaming Eagle IS Harley-Davidson. But as a 45-year Harley rider, I can tell you that the "loud pipes saves lives" mantra is an illusion. 80% of the noise from any set of pipes is directed backwards. You hear a lot more after the bike goes by, not when it's coming at you. I always have loud pipes, but people still don't hear me coming. A cage (car) with windows up may have a radio on and/or AC or are just unaware. I've also driven a Honda or BMW (both very quiet) and saw little difference in awareness of drivers in front of me. So I look forward to trying a Brammo. If the silence is a problem, I'll replace the horn with something as loud as an air horn. But I don't think I'll need it.

Robert Andrews
10th May, 2012 @ 09:29 am PDT

At what speed do you get a 100 mile range, and what is the range if I go 100 mph?

Slowburn
10th May, 2012 @ 10:00 am PDT

re; Robert Andrews

It is the people behind you you most need to be aware of you because they are the ones you are least aware of.

Slowburn
10th May, 2012 @ 11:11 am PDT

I don't Know what is SOOOOOOO HARD for these electric motorbike/scooter/car manufacturers to understand. With the exception of the socially responsible wealthy who want to make a political statement about their own "carbon footprint'" the REST of us normal people are looking for an ECONOMICAL replacement for the gas guzzlers we drive. What good does it do my pocketbook if the Ebike is four times the price (!) of a 250 gas streetbike that will out perform the ebike? Twelve thousand dollars will buy me three thousand gallons of gas! Three thousand gallons of gas will propell a 250 at least 180,000 MILES! When will these guys get real on the price or the performance?

PicklePop Flyer
10th May, 2012 @ 11:43 am PDT

PicklePop Flyer just about says it all. An around town bike should be spec'd for 35 mph max and the highway bike is a joke if it can only go 100 miles per charge. Give us a bike that can go 500 miles @ 60 mph and no stupid high speed charging runs. The price is out of bounds. A 250 gasser is more than most people will ever be able to handle soooo, M

ATCH the specs of one of those and price it affordably.

James Farmer
10th May, 2012 @ 12:58 pm PDT

Picklepop flyer and James Farmer are spot on. If I want to only putter around town I could pay $1,200 for a 50cc scooter that uses almost no fuel. If I need a bit of highway action a 250 bike is good. If I want to go 160km/hr then I want a track bike which I could get second hand (why wreck a good new one?) for $7,000. In every case I would be between $11,000 and $17,000 better off.

I'd love to buy an electric bike to get around town on but I'm not willing to fork out serious bike / car money for it.

Scion
10th May, 2012 @ 06:11 pm PDT

would love an electric bike that had a fairing and could go the route thru the mountain at highway speeds so I could ride to town. It would be nice if someone built one.

David Wallace
11th May, 2012 @ 05:54 am PDT

Perhaps not everyone posting here is familiar with US driving customs/rules, but 35mph will get you run off the road in most of our cities; 45mph is the posted limit in many, many american cities, with actual speeds sometimes much higher. In addition, if you want to be able to take the bike on the freeway, even for a few miles to get across town, you need to be able to maintain 75-80mph, with a bit of headroom for passing. This should help to explain at least in part Brammo's 100mph goal.

Yes, the Empulse is expensive, more so than expected, which is disappointing. On the other hand, it looks like it has the build quality and attention to detail one would expect for a bike in this price range, so at least it's somewhat justifiable.

Personally, I think that a 150 mile range AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS (75mph) will be the threshold for wider adoption of e-bikes in the U.S., assuming they can get the price to below 10K. They're making great strides, and I'm enjoying reading about the progress.

the webman
12th May, 2012 @ 12:00 am PDT

Love to buy one but the range is too short. Charge time is a bit long. price is silly for a dinky. The mass market is looking for a cheap bike to see if they like it. Build the Rolls royces when the basic is accepted.

pointyup
12th May, 2012 @ 08:50 pm PDT

I agree with webman, We need highway range and realistic pricing. Progress is being made.

rooferron
14th May, 2012 @ 01:49 pm PDT

Settle down, people; this is a step to the future, not an end product. Sure, only the rich E-conscious can afford this unit, but eventually, when gas is more rare and we fight even bigger wars for it, the natural evolution of electric transport will be more desirable and affordable.

Baby steps, baby steps...

Note: loud pipes don't save lives, they just compensate for someone's need to be on display. And keep me from getting a full night's sleep all summer long...

Steve Anderson
18th May, 2012 @ 07:20 am PDT

Even a 100 mile range on gasoline limits the use of a motorcycle. There are simply times and places that gasoline is not available at the 100 mile mark. Even places where a 100 mile range is usually fine a rider must keep in mind that stations close for things like Christmas morning. So you might need more than one station closer than 100 miles that you can count on being open or you will actually be in danger. Try walking 100 miles or waiting 24 hours for a station to open. It could be fatal.

Jim Sadler