Hobbyist creates real-world Borderlands laser sniper rifle
By Ben Coxworth
January 29, 2014
If you're a gamer, then you're no doubt already familiar with the first-person-shooter Borderlands. And if you're a regular Gizmag reader, then you've probably already seen some of the creations of German laser weapons hobbyist Patrick Priebe. Well, he's gone and created a real-life laser sniper rifle, based on the game.
Priebe tells us that the gun isn't a recreation of any specific Borderlands weapon, as he likes to create his own stuff. That said, he believes that it "would fit the game perfectly."
The steel-bodied rifle is over three feet (0.9 m) long, weighs over 10 pounds (4.5 kg), and took eight weeks to build. The Maliwan logo on its side refers to a fictional weapons manufacturer in the game.
Some of the rifle's features include dual blue 1.5-watt burning lasers, a 1-mW red aiming laser, a scope-mounted battery level indicator (everything runs on a single lithium-ion battery), and LED accent lights mounted beneath translucent plexiglass.
The gun was made for a customer. You can watch it dispatching some shady-looking balloons, in the video below.
Source: Laser Gadgets by Patrick Priebe
- Around The Home
- Digital Cameras
- Good Thinking
- Health and Wellbeing
- Holiday Destinations
- Home Entertainment
- Inventors and Remarkable People
- Mobile Technology
- Urban Transport
- Wearable Electronics
- 2014 Action Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartwatch Comparison Guide
- 2014 Windows 2-in-1 Comparison Guide
- 2014 Smartphone Comparison Guide
- 2014 Full Frame DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Tablet Comparison Guide
- 2014 Superzoom Camera Comparison Guide
- 2014 iPad Comparison Guide
- 2014 Entry-Level to Enthusiast DSLR Comparison Guide
- 2014 Small Compact Camera Comparison Guide