Highlights from the 2014 LA Auto Show

BMW designs a car to a four year-old's specifications

February 7, 2013

The incomparable ELI429 (Image: BMW)

The incomparable ELI429 (Image: BMW)

Who says that car makers don’t listen to their customers? A reader at Jalopnik asked for help in producing a concept image for a car built to the specifications of his four year-old nephew, Eli – BMW responded with the ride we all secretly wish we owned.

As per Eli’s specs, it’s a BMW with 42-wheel drive powered by 19 Porsche engines cranking 459 bhp (319 kW) each. Controlling this behemoth takes three drivers, who can all steer simultaneously. There's also a huge toy trunk with its own air vent and plenty of interior room to play.

Eli’s uncle chipped in with suggestions that the engines be water-cooled turbocharged boxer 6's linked to a single transmission, and came up with the model name 4219ELI.

If BMW doesn’t put this on the market, we will definitely be disappointed.

Sources: BMW, Jalopnik

David Szondy David Szondy is a freelance writer based in Monroe, Washington. An award-winning playwright, he has contributed to Charged and iQ magazine and is the author of the website Tales of Future Past.   All articles by David Szondy

Hilarious. Great to see they entertain a sense of humor. By the looks, though, I'd expect this to be a tire company's product. Michelin, Pirelli, Continental...

Gadgety
7th February, 2013 @ 02:32 pm PST

Isn't it nice to own the factory and be able to spend this much money on engineering such a vehicle? Pity there is no link to a video clip though. Any chance of a follow-up with an 'exploded' breakdown of the engineering?

The Skud
7th February, 2013 @ 05:28 pm PST

This is wicked. the boy had to be under 7 with this imagination.

Now if I could get Bentley to create a car based on my imagination when I was 17 !!

That WOULD be something else. Trouble would be to get the authorities to allow it to be made and then there would be the small matter of censorship. :)

RexJ
7th February, 2013 @ 08:16 pm PST

Did Eli also design the Lykan Hypersports?

nutcase
8th February, 2013 @ 12:52 am PST

brilliant car, well done eli and thank you to bmw for making a 4 year old's dreams come true

symon419
8th February, 2013 @ 02:15 am PST

"we all secretly wish we owned?" Please, let me try to introduce myself as a human being who has outlived any desire for any of the expensive cars shown here, let alone this silly monsrosity. I still know enough about exotic cars to be totally embarrassed by it. If this isn't a hoax, my respect for BMW just evaporated.

Bob Stuart
8th February, 2013 @ 04:32 am PST

Oh, come now, Bob Stuart, I think this is wonderful! Of course they aren't going to build this for real- a Porsche engine (let alone 19 of them) in a BMW just isn't going to happen.

My inner 3 year old approves!

bergamot69
8th February, 2013 @ 05:33 am PST

I see nothing about the MSRP.

John Snook
8th February, 2013 @ 05:57 am PST

Bob, they only created a concept image. No engineering was do on this, I'm pretty sure. My guess is a designer only spent a few hours putting this image together. No ones suggesting this is a real concept. It's entertaining, no more.

Siegfried Gust
8th February, 2013 @ 06:51 am PST

Ahh, the Bavarian Batmobile! Very cool.

Valtrose
8th February, 2013 @ 08:26 am PST

For those few posters that seem to be upset that BMW would dare to spend so much of its limited resources figuring out how to link 9 engines to a single transmission... relax. It's just a nice CG rendering of a 3D model. This likely took no more than a few hours of a single artist's time, and my guess it made for one super excited 4-year old.

That's the entire point of concept design! Be outrageous from time to time - who cares if it has no realistic application. I think this is awesome!

Tony Morrill
8th February, 2013 @ 08:50 am PST

I love it when I see someone encouraging the constructive imagination of children!! Who knows, maybe the kid will grow up to be the next Zora Arkus Duntov?? Anybody else here remember that guy? Maybe it's actually him, come back for another time around?

To all of the ladies who got their panties in a wad over a drawing that was created to bring a smile to a little boy's face, I say that it's time to take a "big boy" pill and ease up a bit!!

Randy

Expanded Viewpoint
8th February, 2013 @ 11:03 am PST

@Bob Stuart - Where's your inner child? By that measure, where's your inner rational adult? This isn't even a 3D design. If it were, we would've had the pleasure of 10 or 15 photos of various views. Instead, we have the one photoshopped image.

kalqlate
8th February, 2013 @ 01:16 pm PST

I do think there has been a little more time in the design, other than an image, why else would there be talk of engines with turbo's and power train. It will never become real prototype, but I am sure there is a little 3d design in there. Bring on the 3D printer.

I feel sorry for all those whom have lost there inner kid.

Imagination is the heart for all design, just wish I had the coin & ability to draw up and create, some of the items that have passed through my imagination.

Crippled old fart by body, little kid at heart.

ELM
8th February, 2013 @ 04:29 pm PST

It's nice to see that a car company still has a heart.

Red Bike Master
8th February, 2013 @ 05:04 pm PST

If they have a 3d model it would be easy to drop it into an animation.

Then three drivers hmmmmm

Clarkson

May

Hammond

or Triple Stigs!!!!!

David Edward Pratt
8th February, 2013 @ 05:59 pm PST

I don't see where they could possibly fit 19 engines on this thing.

Fusiontek
9th February, 2013 @ 11:57 pm PST

BMW has a long history of keeping us entertained: http://www.bmweducation.co.uk/cofacts/view.asp?docID=49

They've been producing April fools ads every year since at least the late 80s, and then of course there's the new Mini.

Synchro
11th February, 2013 @ 06:27 am PST

I think this is really cool. IMO, the kid has a future in car design. I like the way the kid thinks. :)

BigGoofyGuy
11th February, 2013 @ 06:31 am PST

It reminds me of Thunderbirds FAB1 on steroids.

Nathan Rees
11th February, 2013 @ 10:16 am PST

Make it in a Hummer (original) next time.

Matthew Douglas Pressler
16th February, 2013 @ 04:37 pm PST

seems like a train to me, so if one were to take take off the tires, and strengthen the wheels, lengthen the body, one would have a super fast car - - on tracks vehicle.

sort of a maybach train car??

JACKHG