Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

Air-O-Swiss provides humidity on the go

February 15, 2012

The Air-O-Swiss AOS 7146 Travel Ultrasonic humidifier utilizes a regular bottle of store-bought drinking water, and can reportedly be used across North America and Europe

Planning a trip to the desert? If so, and particularly if you're from one of the more moist parts of the world, you might find the dryness a little off-putting. While there's not much that you can do to increase the humidity while you're out and about, there is a device that's designed to improve the comfort level in your hotel room - the Air-O-Swiss AOS 7146 Travel Ultrasonic humidifier.

The 7146 utilizes a standard half-liter (17 oz) bottle of store-bought purified drinking water as its water source. It uses high-frequency vibrations to "ultra-quietly" convert that water into a cooling mist, at a rate that can be adjusted with a hand dial on the unit. It automatically shuts itself off once the water is used up, and indicates that it needs a refill by glowing red at the spout.

It also incorporates a transcontinental AC adapter with exchangeable plugs, which reportedly allows for its use across North America and Europe.

While it sounds like a reasonably clever product, it would be nice to know how long it can run on one bottle - would it be enough to keep your room comfortably humid throughout the night? If any readers have tried the device and know the answer, we'd be interested in hearing from you in the comments section.

The AOS 7146 Travel Ultrasonic humidifier is available via the company website, for US$49.99.

It can be seen in use in the video below.

Source: Air-O-Swiss

Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth

I bought one of these for my wife, as a replacement for a larger, older humidifier. She loves its small size and silent operation. As for the length of running time, there is a switch on the back that changes the amount of humidity produced. Running at max, we get between 3and 4 hours of running time from a 16 oz bottle. It does turn off automatically when the water gets low. Though we rarely use it, I like it because of its size.

Bryan Boyce
15th February, 2012 @ 08:12 pm PST

"Air-O-Swiss"??? That's funny, because I have that EXACT humidifier on my desk, named "Worltec Humidifier" by (I believe) a Korean company Ohsung (Happy Technology).

(See link)

(I'm guessing Air-O-Swiss bought the rights from Ohsung???)

Max Mad
16th February, 2012 @ 09:02 am PST

I bought one and it performs as advertised.....no leaks, quiet, very clever and compact design. How well it can keep your room comfortably humid throughout the night depends on a couple factors, primarily the size of the room and how well it is sealed from the outside environment. In my application, this unit made little difference to the room humidity level as measured on a hygrometer. I ended up purchasing an evaporative recirculating humidifier that does the job, but this larger unit is definitely not portable.

Comments....
16th February, 2012 @ 09:02 am PST

I love the little travel bag... the exact size for the device.

Now what do you do with that huge power block? I guess that just gets thrown in the suit case.

coryatjohn
16th February, 2012 @ 10:12 am PST

Apart from the need to have a plastic bottle, In western countries ordinary tap water should be plenty good enough.

The water should be low in bacteria to start with, and the ultrasonics provides an extra sterilisation affect.

Wombat56
16th February, 2012 @ 02:41 pm PST

Hmm . . . I hate humidity.

I want just the opposite - something one could wear to REMOVE humidity from the body - I know it's a leap right now for the Northern Hemisphere, but I'm thinking of hot steamy summers already.

yrag
16th February, 2012 @ 09:06 pm PST

Wonder how this would work as a colloidal silver humidifier?

Terry Penrose
17th February, 2012 @ 01:03 am PST

This tech has been around for a long time and is nothing new, try a search on eBay and you will find a huge variety of similar devices. I use one to grow my mushrooms, it works very well

Denis Klanac
19th February, 2012 @ 08:52 pm PST

I can't tell you how many times I put wet towels over the heaters in hotel rooms to try and raise the humidity. These are an easy sell to any cold weather climate business traveler.

Thomas Roberts
22nd February, 2012 @ 06:10 am PST

I've had this model for over a year. I only need moist air while I sleep in the winter when the heater runs, and I don't need a big model to change the humidity in the entire room, so I put this on the night stand and it works perfect. The only complaint in reviews is that the LED light inside is too bright and disturbs sleep. I painted over the bulb with black acrylic paint.

RonC