Shopping? Check out our latest product comparisons

2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV will cost $6,000 less than 2012 model

December 4, 2013

The more-affordable 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

The more-affordable 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

If you almost bought an electric car this year but held off, you may now be glad that you did – yesterday, Mitsubishi Motors North America announced that the 2014 edition of its i-MiEV will be selling for US$6,130 less than the current model.

The six-grand-plus reduction will bring the total price to $22,995. If you factor in the $7,500 federal tax credit available to EV buyers in the US, that price drops to $15,495.

Full specs on the 2014 i-MiEV aren't yet available, although if it's like the current 2012 model, it will feature a 49kW AC synchronous motor fed by a 16 kWh lithium-ion battery, a top speed of approximately 80 mph (130 km/h) and a range of about 80 to 100 miles on one charge.

Additionally, formerly optional features that are standard on the new model will include heated front seats, a CHAdeMO DC quick charge port, a battery warming system, and an 8-amp/12-amp switchable Level 1 charging cable. That cable will enable a full charge from near-empty in 22 hours at 8 amps, or 14 hours at 12 amps.

There's currently no word on pricing or features for non-North American versions.

Source: Mitsubishi

Ben Coxworth An experienced freelance writer, videographer and television producer, Ben's interest in all forms of innovation is particularly fanatical when it comes to human-powered transportation, film-making gear, environmentally-friendly technologies and anything that's designed to go underwater. He lives in Edmonton, Alberta, where he spends a lot of time going over the handlebars of his mountain bike, hanging out in off-leash parks, and wishing the Pacific Ocean wasn't so far away.   All articles by Ben Coxworth

Wholly Moly! Recommended Retail In Australia Is $48,800.00.

Goodness me we ripped off here in Oz!

BENCARLIMAGES
4th December, 2013 @ 05:05 pm PST

$7500 'tax credit' - which YOU helped pay for, don't forget! Don't be surprised if your neighbour asks for his share back.

The Skud
4th December, 2013 @ 05:57 pm PST

I think the lower price will make it more appealing to more people who want an electric vehicle.

BigWarpGuy
4th December, 2013 @ 06:47 pm PST

@the skud, would be time all neighbors with gas guzzling 6 or 8 cylinder cars gonna pay for the damage they do to my breathing air.

Ramon Verhoeven
5th December, 2013 @ 02:04 am PST

Heated front seats? For heavens sake - why? For decades we didn't need them, now an electric car, of all things, has them. Still hoping for that "electric Beetle" type car - simple, sturdy, devoid of expensive frills.

GeoffG
5th December, 2013 @ 04:05 am PST

HEATED SEATs are probably because it is more efficient to heat the body directly, rather than the whole cabin, therefore saving energy!

livin_the_dream
5th December, 2013 @ 05:57 am PST

GeoffG and Livin: The heated seats are definitely there to be used as an alternative to heating the cabin. I have a Nissan Leaf. With the heated seats and heated steering wheel, I rarely need the heater up here in the PNW.

My concern on this vehicle is the battery. The Leaf has a 24KWH battery, too small in my opinion. This iMEV has an even smaller battery! Perhaps the iMEV is more efficient or lighter or something? It would need to have something special over the Leaf to get nearly the same range on a smaller battery.

Jeff Michelson
5th December, 2013 @ 09:42 am PST

Heated Seats save battery charge as they lower or eliminate heating the cabin. iMEV is lighter. I like my VOLT !

barrettjet
5th December, 2013 @ 01:27 pm PST

I'm excited for the day when electric cars are the norm. I love the simplicity of their drive train. I love the ability to select performance parameters. I love the Tesla vehicles but they are quite expensive (although looking at the cost of the Volt, Leaf, iMiev etc... Maybe not considering what you get in return) or I would have one already.

I will always love the ICE but am still interested in the future but let's not forget that we have to begin producing prodigious cheap electricity if we all are to drive electric cars.

To that end, I'm still intrigued by the new nuclear technologies, especially LFTR concepts that could be scalable, negating the need to produce it at large facilities hundreds of miles from point of use and suffering losses during delivery.

Hopefully, I will still be able to get some gasoline to drive my old cars when electric cars become the norm.

Dr. Veritas
5th December, 2013 @ 03:32 pm PST

"a range of about 80 to 100 miles on one charge"

How fast will we going when we are at 95 miles with 5 miles to get home?

donwine